Shark TOOTH Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All thats left is a few wooden ribs sticking out of the sand and scattered small amphora and pottery shards. I'm sure you could find more, but as it sits in a downdraft and at the bottom of a wall it's mostly buried in sand.

Depth is 80 - 160 you have to hud the wall as the dwndraft can be up to 3- 4knots on some days. if you get blown away, you won't go deep but you'll end up in never-never land a few 100ft of the wall.

Profile? Start at 130ish and work your way up the wreck, accend slowly while making your way around the point and surface on the other side where your friendly Rib Driver should be waiting.
Avoid Green Boats with bow-mounted .50's

No time for grid - this is a quick in and out job - although I'd love to make it a project.

Willer

Any luck identifying the wrecks name or nationality ?
Or, are you able to determine the era by content of the amphoras ?
I'll bet theres not a brass nail on the site !
Man oh Man !
Hey, I just posted my last SAR dive on another forum.

Shark's teeth?

Sure. No problem.

I'm here near Hilton Head, about an hour south of Charleston, the place that's world-renowned for it's Megladon teeth. They are regularly as big as your hand. The really big ones can measure ten inches in length.

But when I'm looking for shark's teeth, I don't bother going up to Charleston. The reason why that town's so well known for the teeth is because there's so many people there in that town. The real places to find the teeth are those places where nobody ever goes.

And that would be near me.

There is one diver up the street who makes a full-time living diving for fossils. Last I heard, he sold the Smithsonian a single Megladon tooth for more than $12,000. Apparently, they have constructed an entire set of jaws around the tooth to estimate the size of the Megladon. This set of jaws is easily large enough for a full grown human to walk through without bumping his head. This thing probably could have swallowed small cars whole.

If you're serious about shark's teeth, I know where to find them... It helps, too, that I regularly see the guy up the street in those same areas. PM me and I can put together something this summer... I've got a boat that's perfect for those waters.

Expect zero or near-zero vis, though... And probably a max depth of 50' or so. Salinity is high, and current can be fierce. But four times a day the tides go slack for about a half an hour, and that's the time to get what you can find.

There's more information on my website below.

I found this satelite photo of the Yanbu area, taken about Mid day, apparently on a outgoing tide.
The the water borne silt particulants are readily visible and show as long off colored streams flowing across the Eliza Shoals.
I notice that the area of your dive is not effected by the silt flow.
When you are around the bend & boarding the RIB, can you see the Microwave Tower down the coast in the distance ?

Meg teeth max at a little over 7"That size is worth 3 Gavins in decent condition.My biggest is 6" .East coast Fl to NC are in the best shape and draw the highest dollar.

.......that's actually I See You Are OK, I never would have guessed. Met for a shark tooth dive at Venice Beach yesterday morning. Conditions were less than ideal, but Scott did well in his first ever beach dive. He learned about surf and is a better diver as a result.

Scott and his wife, Jenny (or is it Ginny?), are a delightful couple. It's a treat to meet people of their quality.

An excellent way to start shark tooth diving is to contact Capt.Tom at www.cooperriver.com.He knows the river and more importantly the proper currents and tides for the Cooper River. He can get you the best vis which is good for a beginner. The current can be swift abd vis poor so follow two rules-you never have enough light and its hard to have too much weight on. Capt. Tom has the best latter in the world for climbing out of the river once your fins are off and it will even hold me fully weighted and attired. There are others to dive the river but he is the best that runs the Cooper on a regular basis. When you come up he also is quick to pick you up. The vis is better in cold weather if you like such diving. Tell him I sent you and said hello.
Ira

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom