Shark Week Phobia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard (not sure if its true) that bigger sharks are interested in bigger prey, the classic example being seals / sea lions.

The largest shark of all (whale shark) suspension feeds on plankton so size of shark is no indication of size of prey. Although of course a bigger, highly metabolic shark like a great white will need more food to sustain it and therefore is likely to take bigger prey.

Consider yourself fortunate if you get the chance to see one, because if you don't seek sharks out by going places known for sightings, you will be pretty unlikely to see one on a dive. If you do, it will be extremely unlikely that he will hang around for long. The exceptions in the Carribbean are nurse sharks, and unless you are grabbing their fins as they bask on the bottom, they pose very little threat to you.

There is a statistically greater chance of you getting killed or injured in your car or plane on your way to a dive site than getting attacked by a shark. Yet, you will still drive or fly to the dive site. Also, its more likely you will be injured by DCS while diving than getting attacked by a shark. More divers are injured by DCS than are attacked by sharks. Also its more likely you will be injured while diving due to mechanical failure of your dive equipment than being attacked by a shark. The point is shark attacks, while they do happen, are very rare statisticaly speaking for the general population and even rarer still for divers. There are many more serious potential threats to divers than sharks.

I don't think there can be any guaranteed shark-free zone in salt water, just as there are no lightning-free zones on land. When your time is up, its up! Take comfort in knowing your name will be in the local papers!:D

I think the real element here is a millenia old fear humans have of being eaten whether it be shark, lion, boa, canibals. Few methods of death raise such anxiety; except for maybe fire and drowning. (At least we avoid one of those by diving!:wink:

My personal experience with dangerous sharks is limited to the GW at Molokini (discussed here before). I have over 600 dives, mostly in So Cal and have never seen a dangerous shark in person locally...but they are here. I had to go to Hawaii to see a shark that should not have been there...go figure.

I do admit I get a bit nervous entering a murky surf zone on the local beaches...especially when I am the only one in the water. The mind plays tricks...every free floating piece of seaweed is a potential killer!!! The occasional ambush by my harbor seal friend can stop my heart.

My real fear is the plane crashing on the way TO the dive destination.:wink:

Bottom line: Dive easy, your fate does not include "death-by-shark".

Jon

es601,

There are some superbly great points here by obviously well experienced divers with these creatures. I'm like you, i have my concerns and have a relative fear of that yet-experienced situation. I do enjoy watching these fish on TV and i am fascinated with them although i know full well that the first time i catch glimpse of one in real life, i will probably well and truly wet myself!:11:

Be that as it may, this doesn't put me off being underwater one bit. I believe that as long as your respect the animal due to you being a visitor in THEIR environment, then hostile situations are rare. Dont let you put this off being in the water. There is probably statistically more chance of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a shark.

Scotty

I have seen five sharks. All nurse sharks. I once saw the dive master pet an 8' nurse shark and this was not on a commercialized feed dive. Although it was a nurse it was still pretty cool. He said that the skin felt like sandpaper.

I guess I'm pretty lucky because I've seen a great variety of sharks: nurse, reef, sand tiger, leopard and my favorite, WHALE

I have seen one shark in the puget sound the famous 6 gill shark. Get time watching and learning.

My favorite statistic ever;

In 2000, 15 were killed by sharks.
150 were killed by falling coconuts.

You are 10 times as likely to be "Gilligan's Island-ed" to death, as "Jaw-ed"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom