Shark Week Phobia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not think you should be worry about sharks, where do you dive? Close to shore? I been diving the North east Atlantic, and i never seen one, most of my dives are have been made from a boat, several diferent depths and i nevr had the chance to see one.

As a matter of fact i had to pay lots of money to dive with sharks in Nassau.

Good luck, do not worry

PhotoTJ:
My favorite statistic ever;

In 2000, 15 were killed by sharks.
150 were killed by falling coconuts.

You are 10 times as likely to be "Gilligan's Island-ed" to death, as "Jaw-ed"

This is not a credible statistic because according to the International Shark Attack file on 11 people world wide were killed by sharks in 2000. BTW, there were more fatalities from shark attacks in 2000 than in any year since and the last time the numbers were that high was in 1993.

Divers are less likely to be attacked than surfers, swimmers or waders. From 1580 through 2005, there have been only 231 recorded shark attacks on divers - world wide.

Walter:
This is not a credible statistic because according to the International Shark Attack file on 11 people world wide were killed by sharks in 2000. BTW, there were more fatalities from shark attacks in 2000 than in any year since and the last time the numbers were that high was in 1993.

Divers are less likely to be attacked than surfers, swimmers or waders. From 1580 through 2005, there have been only 231 recorded shark attacks on divers - world wide.

While wading and flyfishing, a bull will come up and get aggressive. The best method to discourge him is the Shark Stomp. Just stomp your foot on the sand a couple of times and the shark takes off.

Stan

Thanks for all the replies everyone I do feel some what better. I have no problem with nurse sharks and have got right in their face to snap their photo(ok mild harassment) and would love to see a whale shark! It's just those Great Whites,Tiger,Bull, Hammerhead and what is it white tip or black tip that generally get people floating around waiting to be rescued? BTW if I was hanging around under coconut trees a lot I may opt for a hard hat!

Ok so last night I was watching a program on shark attacks. It said that diver shark attacks on divers are usually spear fishing. And its from sharks feeling threatened because you are hunting their food and they are attracted to the blood and the stress from the fish. Of course my fiancé got my daughter all freaked out about being eaten. I told her that its rare and I have no intention of killing its dinner so he should leave me alone :D Does anyone know what the statistics are for diver attacks? Were they mostly spear fishing or just swimming along? I must admit I would be in aww if I saw a shark but yet part of me would be a little freaked also.

Stacy

Need to dive shark free? Try Bonaire, no sharks.

Charlie59:
Need to dive shark free? Try Bonaire, no sharks.
Really? No sharks in Bonaire? Darn. I'll be there soon for my first time. I love sharks.:(

I am a minimally experienced diver(21 dives) and have encountered nurse and caribbean reef sharks while diving, it was a great experience and they were in no way agressive.

If you want to overcome any unrealistic fear of them I highly recommend the shark feeding dive by Stuart Coves-Nassau, Bahamas. I did this last spring and it was a great time and a definate rush. The first dive you are on a wall dive and there are 5-6 hanging around at a distance. For the surface interval they come up to the boat in anticipation. For the feed, you kneel on the bottem and 10-15 4-8 ft. reef sharks swim all around you, touch you with their fin tips, swim between your legs, etc. They never were real aggresive, but they do speed up when the food comes out of the box.

There are 3-4 species that I dont think I would go out of my way to be in the water with (bull, gwhite, tiger, mako) but maybe someday if it felt right!

For me the thrill overcomes the fear, like alot of other things Ive done(auto racing, sky diving, mountain climbing).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom