Sharkwater movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ahve also seen this movie and it was beautiful and disturbing at the same time. I encourage everyone to see this movie.

I just came back from seeing Sharkwater here in Kitchener, Ontario. Like NSMEDIC says, it's both beautiful and disturbing. And very powerful.

The theatre was packed for two back-to-back shows. There were a number of kids and families in the audience, and the filmmaker Rob Stewart took questions at the end of the film. What I found excellent was his educational, not confrontational approach.

Makes you want to get off your duff and tell people about the huge decline (upwards of 90%) in shark populations worldwide due to overfishing. All this in the last 20 years.

I aske Rob Stewart if the film was being translated into the languages of the people who are consuming the majority of shark fin products, and he said yes. For example, he's getting a Chinese basketball star to introduce the film for Chinese cable TV. According to him, in Cantonese the name of shark fin soup does not contain the word shark (perhaps some Cantonese speaker can help me out here), so that people aren't immediately aware what they're eating contains shark fin, even if they did know that the shark population is being decimated to provide fins for the soup.

Thanks, Rob Stewart, a great film.

Hi Shark Lovers !!!

Since we have alots chinese restraurant around Canada.. why not WE ( As a diver) send one brochures to each restraurant.. 2 minute explaination is good enough..

just a thought

Z

I sent an email to the contact provided on the webpage awhile back and never got an answer. I REALLY want to see this movie!

Good idea, Nizaha. Some health food stores sell shark catilage and fin products, too. I'm planning on talking to my local stores about discontinuing shark products.

the story of this movies origins and the making of are in this months Scuba Diving magazine. helps to give insights into why the movie was made and gives interesting facts about the men who made it.

This movie is being released in NY City April 11-17. Elsewhere later on, probably smaler venues too.

I can't wait.

Shoredivr:
Thats awesome that Rob Stewart was there answering questions and you got to talk to him personally. There was only three other people in the theatre with me and one left once she realized she was in the wrong theatre. I believe the basketball player you are speaking of is Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets..I remember him signing a pledge nto to eat shark fin soup.

We had the US premiere at the Boston Sea Rovers. It is an amazing film. Everyone should see it.

Back
Top Bottom