Sharkwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islandgirl1984

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So has anyone seen this movie Sharkwater? I have heard of shark finning and knew it was a big problem but this movie really got to me, I had now idea just how bad it was.

I've seen it. I ordered a copy of the DVD yesterday. I teach Environmental Science and figure the best way I can help is to make sure all of my students see it as well.

I saw it and showed it to my 12 year old son. He was so upset by it, by about the time the sea turtle scene came on, he couldn't watch it any more. He had actually told me about shark finning a couple of years ago. The movie was excellent, and I am telling lots of people about it. I agree with the premise of the movie that people's perceptions of sharks can change, just like they did with whales, and maybe sharks will then be protected. I hope it's not too late. Can you imagine...only a little over 300 whale shark sightings in 2007? Humans have decimated that population.

One interesting thing is that the filmmaker advocates doing a shark dive to I guess call attention to how amazing they are. But I wonder if he'd advocate chumming and feeding?

I'm sure he wouldn't advocate chumming. Chumming creates a dependency on the feeding and has nothing to do with seeing sharks in their natural habitat

There was a screening of the film here in the Chicago area a few weeks back. It was for one single day and for one showtime only. Even more surprising was that there were only four of us in the entire theatre, all from the Chicago SCUBA Meetup. It totally perplexed us why there was little or not publicity about the film showing. But, we all agreed - the film was both shocking and spectacular. Each of us knew a little bit of what was happening, but not how bad the situation really is. It was one of those films I had to buy for myself. I have yet to see a shark during a dive, but now I look forward to it even more. :D

There have been a number of threads in the past praising this movie. Of course here on touristy Catalina Island, it will never make the local theater since sharks are a "verboten" subject! I'm considering buying a copy and having a Sharkwater "party" at my house so others can see it.

I have seen sharks lying intact on the bottom, killed by sport fishers, but fortunately none of them are finned here in our waters that I know of. However, I have to admit that back in the 1970's (after a certain movie came out that was filmed in part two miles from my house) that my students would go out and catch blue sharks, gut them and release them. I put a stop to the gutting and release, but there were a few taken to be eaten and I tanned the shark skins to make moccasins. These days we hardly ever see a blue in our waters unless we chum for hours mid-channel.

Rob S premiered it about a year ago where I work (New England Aquarium) and I had a chance to see it and chat with him afterwords. Interesting guy and a pretty impactful story.

I wasn't in love with the reflective scenes such as him walking along the beach with his freediving fins slung over his shoulder, but I understand the need for 'commercial' appeal.

It's definitely a film I strongly recommend. Shark fining is completely out of hand and the impact of it is something that will be / is globally felt.

I've seen it as well...known about the act of finning for quite some time...very tragic. I've always been at ease in the water with sharks (having lived and swam in the waters of FL, Panama (Central America) and HI), so I completely get where the film is coming from. I've only recently begun my diving adventures (wish I had done it sooner, but heck, don't we all!), and I am hoping and praying that I continue to enjoy shark encounters during my dives.

Of course the film makes the point of finning's hazards and pitfalls all too clearly, and retiterates the need for conservancy more than anything to ensure continued balance within the ecosystem in which we live. The film also portrays the beauty of the shark...the persistence of the shark's simple and effective design. It truly is a top-tier predator...without which, the seas will be in a horrible state of flux.

My Mom purchased the DVD first when it came out and watched it, and then called me crying...literally sobbing. She had no idea!

Hopefully, Rob's film will make the mark on people's psyches that it should...the problem is, there are too many more people with that indelible memory of their first viewing of "Jaws" to care about a documentary film with infinitely more accolades, as have been bestowed on "Sharkwater."

I haven't seen this one, but there is a similar section in the video that comes with the REEF book sold at Barnes & Noble, etc. I didn't realize this and my 6 old son was really upset by it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom