Sharm El Sheikh "local dives"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately most whale shark sightings have now gone for the season but hammerheads still in Jackson.

Looking for the Whale Sharks??

They have just moved north to our backyard- Come to Eilat to meet them :D

But don't worry, one may meet them again when they go south again. We'll drop a word when it happens (and honestly, I hope it takes as long as possible before they start they cruise back south :wink: ).

Wish a couple of whale sharks would migrate south toward St. Johns and hang out as I be there in early Novermber.

Vanessar

Just to give an update on the topic..
I came back from Sharm El Sheikh on Monday and I was able to fit in 5 days in two days with Emperor Divers and can now say what I personally think of the local dives.
First off its not neccesarilly as "local" as it might sound as they did include a bit of a boat ride to get to from Namaa bay jetty.
The main difference with the local dives was that they (atleast as far as far as I experienced) was quite a bit more crowded both on the boat and in the water than the "less local" dives.
Compared to last years trip to Cancun and Cozumel (which was also in august) Id say the reefs in Sharm is in way better condition and the marine life is far more plentiful. Less barracuda though, although we found a huge one that snuck up on my buddy. Too bad I couldnt get a picture of that >:->

A more extensive trip report with a few pictures will follow when I get around to it..

Compared to last years trip to Cancun and Cozumel (which was also in august) Id say the reefs in Sharm is in way better condition and the marine life is far more plentiful.
it..

The problem is Tigerman, Sharm used to be an oasis of fish, my first trip in 99, you snorkel surrounded by fish. It's IMPORTANT TO REALISE how damage the tourism is doing to one of the worlds best diving locations.

Egypt needs to control the tourism in Sharm and extend the protection of the national parks to preserve their heritage. There are too many day boats, too many liveaboards operating out of Sharm.

They should have a small Convservation Tax to protect the Reefs!!!!

They should have a small Conservation Tax to protect the Reefs!!!!

And how will that protect the reefs? Don't forget this is Egypt we are talking about. The money will disappear into some politicians pockets. We pay Marine Park taxes to visit Ras Mohammed, but do they prevent large fishing boats from entering the park? Of course not. Corruption and greed will destroy everything.

From time to time people going to Sharm express their concern about the "obligatoric local "check dive".... its nothing to worry about!! These are all good dives!!

And: its a good idea to show the DC your level so they can hook you up in the right group for later trips anyway... I mean who wants to dive with an "AOW" with 13 dives at Shark&Yolanda?

When I went to Sharm I had great local dives, they were actually better than Ras...
Here is my favorites:

Middle Garden (Beatiful eagle ray)
Near Garden (great drift dive with big tunas)
The Temple (red sea walk man and a bunch of other usual suspects)

Stop worrying about the "local" dives in Sharm!! They are good dives most of them...

I'm amazed people are 'bothered' by 'having' to dive the local dive sites out of Sharm - a lot of them are simply stunning in their own right. They also fulfill the requirement on the dive centres to ensure that their customer's are adequate divers.

Diving over the gardens for example - or even Temple - can be absolutely stunning and just as good as anything you'd see out of Shark & Yolanda.

Incidentally, would you take people straight to S&L just because they said they could dive? Hell I wouldn't - I've been in some proper difficult currents and the like off there.

Personally I think the view is the wrong way around - I think it's fantastic that the area you have to do your check dive in just happens to be such a quality site!

I go to Sharm quite a lot - at least once a quarter - I just love the diving off of there. Local, Tiran as well as Ras Mo. Last few months have been great for big stuff - Whale Sharks, Hamerheads, rays... simply beautiful. A fair few whale sharks where in the local sites too.

Posted this link on another post too - but have a look at the photos & videos in here from June. Pretty much all were local bar the Hammerheads.

MobileMe Gallery

Back
Top Bottom