Sharskin VS Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm interested too. I'm wanting to layer under my 3mm, in order to be warmer when water temp is in 72-78F. Thanks

I assume you've already tried a 5/3 mm hooded vest, that's what I use for additional warmth. I always take it with me, regardless if I'm using my 3, 5. or 7 mm full suits. The extra 3 mm on the core and the 5 mm hood are quite warm, really cuts down on ingress of water too.

I have a long sleeve LavaCore shirt. I have worn it by itself a few times in very warm water while I was traveling, it was fine for that. I have worn it a few times under a wetsuit for extra warm, It helped but I needed an extra hood. I have thought of throwing it in my pack to wear over everything if I still got cold with what I had, but have not tried that out yet

Staying warm is a personal thing. If I was diving in water 72-78 degrees, I'd have my full 5 mm and my hooded vest. At the lower end of the range, I'd be thinking of my 7 mm. The older I get, the less tolerant of cold I've become. Getting cold is the most common cause of increased gas consumption for me.

I was very comfortable using the sharkskin with a 3mm shorty in 75-78 degrees, FWIW. It's fairly comfortable to wear that combination (about as warm as, and much more comfortable than, than a full 5mm wetsuit, in my experience) and the shorty suit does help keep a lot of the bagginess contained. It's annoying to have to go that route, though. The sharkskin by itself was not warm enough for me. I think it would have been if it didn't get so baggy and let so much water flush through.

I went ahead and ordered Frogskin pants and a long sleeve top last night. The website was easy to use, you can pay with paypal and at current exchange rates, it's about $212 shipped to the US. I have a trip to Curacao planned for mid-January and I'll try it out then and post my thoughts.

In the OP's situation, I would just get a 3mm (or 3/2) wetsuit. And a long sleeve rash guard to either put on during surface intervals, with the wetsuit top taken down, or to wear under the wetsuit.

I have a Lavacore sleeveless full suit (i.e. Farmer John bottoms), and 2 different Lavacore tops. I've had very little use of the tops and only used the bottoms a few times.

If the water is too cool to wear shorts and a long sleeve rash guard, I'd rather just put on my 3/2 wetsuit and know I'll be good to go. The only time I've ever been TOO hot in the water in a wetsuit was in a 7mm (with water temp of 85 on the surface, but in the 50s at 30').

ps. I did the 200 yard swim for OW certification in only my Lavacore Farmer John bottoms. It was baggy and draggy without a wetsuit over it.

I seldom dive in temps under 78ish, but am scheduled to dive Brac end on January into Feb....I usually Dive shorts and a rash shirt. A few years ago I purchased Sharkskin pants @ND have used them at that 78 and lower temps....today, I purchased a Lavacore top to compliment the SK pants..all neutral buoyant....so they say....I think I recall having an initial issue on the first Dive with the SK pants and added 2 lbs....got rid of that quickly though...

Anyone Dive Lavacore?

I seldom dive in temps under 78ish, but am scheduled to dive Brac end on January into Feb....I usually Dive shorts and a rash shirt. A few years ago I purchased Sharkskin pants @ND have used them at that 78 and lower temps....today, I purchased a Lavacore top to compliment the SK pants..all neutral buoyant....so they say....I think I recall having an initial issue on the first Dive with the SK pants and added 2 lbs....got rid of that quickly though...

Anyone Dive Lavacore?
I'm headed to the bahamas in about two weeks and planning on diving with lavacore pants and long sleeve top. It'll be my first time using them just by themselves. If I remember, I'll come back to this thread and update with my experience.

Bought a full SS chillproof covert suit for about half off from houseofscuba.com few weeks ago for some end of the year special. I bought it for the colder months under my Drysuit and for my trips down to the tropics. I tried it out in the local heated pool “78 degrees” and it was WARM to say the least. It went on slightly tight and didn’t seem to loosen up too bad. I will be taking it to coz at the end of the month and I’ll try to get back on here to write down my 2cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom