Shearwater Perdix AI Random Dives Caused from Freezing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So I tried to download my latest dives today in Subsurface from my Perdix AI. It downloaded 14 dives. I might have 4 or so dives since I last downloaded them. The dives that are false are all goofy. Any idea? Maybe a pressure sensor issue?

I dove today and it seemed to work fine.

Also should mention I usually keep it in my basement, but the last few weeks it's been in a trailer that I used to haul all my crap to FL. Last week was in the single digits and is when most of the dives were created.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127-225132_Subsurface-mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127-225132_Subsurface-mobile.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 49
Most of these are false. Some ar for hours, some are for a minute or 2.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127-225853_Subsurface-mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127-225853_Subsurface-mobile.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 47
Pressure sensor, contact them for a repair. When one of my Teric’s did this it cost around $225.
I figured it was time to send it in. Did you get weird dives too?

What's odd is it works when I dive. I didn't know it was acting funny otherwise I wouldn't have dove it, but on all the real dives it look legit. Then there's all these random dives mixed in that make no sense.

Any chance you had trapped moisture in the sensor?

Since water expands when it freezes, I could see a possibility of that "pressurizing" the sensor, making it appear to be "at depth" and triggering a dive. There may be nothing actually wrong with it, other than being wet, cold, and lonely. Simple "fix" may be to bring it inside.

There could be similar issues with other equipmet that is worth investigating for actual damage.

I suggest contacting SW and\or asking here with a thread title targeted to the issue ("Dive Computers - Phantom Dives From Freezing"? Or something) and seeing if this is a known scenario. Folks doing ice diving would probably be well positioned to opine.

When mine did it I didn’t dive it but the pressure change from home (2000 ft) to sea level showed me at a few hundred feet depth.

Any chance you had trapped moisture in the sensor?

Since water expands when it freezes, I could see a possibility of that "pressurizing" the sensor, making it appear to be "at depth" and triggering a dive. There may be nothing actually wrong with it, other than being wet, cold, and lonely. Simple "fix" may be to bring it inside.

There could be similar issues with other equipmet that is worth investigating for actual damage.

I suggest contacting SW and\or asking here with a thread title targeted to the issue ("Dive Computers - Phantom Dives From Freezing"? Or something) and seeing if this is a known scenario. Folks doing ice diving would probably be well positioned to opine.
This is a good possibility. I don't always put it away dry, I just leave the case 1/2 zipped to let it air out.

My dive yesterday tracked fine, everything seemed fine all throughout.

Does anyone know where the depth sensor is located or have pictures of the inside? I'm not looking to take mine apart, but I'm wondering if @-JD- was right and water trapped in the sensor expanding. It seems like the colde it was the "deeper" the dive that day, lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom