Shearwater Perdix AI Random Dives Caused from Freezing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A weekend of -25F air temperature likely led to the demise of my basically new Petrel1 (5 dives) when I had it on an Ice Diving trip. There was no evidence of any leak, but it basically had a massive board failure...

A weekend of -25F air temperature likely led to the demise of my basically new Petrel1 (5 dives) when I had it on an Ice Diving trip. There was no evidence of any leak, but it basically had a massive board failure...
That would suck.

I know it didn't get that cold here a few weeks ago, but it was down in the single digits at times. Just checked it was in the teens. I guess a word to the wise, bring your electronic stuff in.

I was quoted $350 if the sensor is bad.... that also sucks. But I would think if the sensor was bad it wouldn't work perfectly on the dives that I did. I need to figure out how the depth sensor get's it's reading... might have been packed with ice (I hope, lol).

Just following up with this. I dove late December, and also 1/14 and 1/27. I kept the dc in my trailer since later December. I have random "phantom" dives after Dec and after 1/14. So it's not like it was a weird scenario where it just did it in between a set of dives and that was it. It has consistently done it when it gets cold out.

The colder it got outside the deeper the "dive" would be. I matched up my 3 deepest dives to the 3 coldest days we had last week. The day in the middle was super cold and also my deepest dive of all 3 days.

All my "real" dives in the last month have been fine to me, they all track fine. I've reached out to Richard @ Divetronix and he mentioned I should ask SW direct. So I'm waiting on an answer from them.

There is a part of me (the cheap part) that will probably just continue to dive it and bring it inside between dives. I'm just curious at this point.

Just following up with this. I dove late December, and also 1/14 and 1/27. I kept the dc in my trailer since later December. I have random "phantom" dives after Dec and after 1/14. So it's not like it was a weird scenario where it just did it in between a set of dives and that was it. It has consistently done it when it gets cold out.

The colder it got outside the deeper the "dive" would be. I matched up my 3 deepest dives to the 3 coldest days we had last week. The day in the middle was super cold and also my deepest dive of all 3 days.

All my "real" dives in the last month have been fine to me, they all track fine. I've reached out to Richard @ Divetronix and he mentioned I should ask SW direct. So I'm waiting on an answer from them.

There is a part of me (the cheap part) that will probably just continue to dive it and bring it inside between dives. I'm just curious at this point.
Totally possible, I hadn’t noticed the temp’s it had recorded so…

Totally possible, I hadn’t noticed the temp’s it had recorded so…
Also should add my Perdix was manf. June of 2018, so just 5.5 years old. How old was yours?

Also should add my Perdix was manf. June of 2018, so just 5.5 years old. How old was yours?
Time for a new one and keep that as a backup. Are you able to compare depth data with a 2nd DC? I'd be a little leary of depth in case it was damaged, even minimally, by having been exposed to prolonged freezing temps.

Time for a new one and keep that as a backup. Are you able to compare depth data with a 2nd DC? I'd be a little leary of depth in case it was damaged, even minimally, by having been exposed to prolonged freezing temps.
I would trend toward this

Rob, I like the freezing-ice-expanding-pressing-on-pressure-sensor suggestion. If it continues to work well and agrees in depth with your backup DC, I'd press on.

I know I need to be cautious, but it tracks my backup dive logs perfectly. I wear a backup Deep 6 Excursion on all my dives.

Rob, I like the freezing-ice-expanding-pressing-on-pressure-sensor suggestion. If it continues to work well and agrees in depth with your backup DC, I'd press on.
I think this is my plan moving forward.. curious to see what SW says if they get back to me.

I'll just keep a close eye on it. I don't have anything tech-ish planned for at least another few months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom