Shearwater Petrel 2 vs. SubGravity H3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THRASH

Contributor
Reaction score
I know there has been many Petrel comparative threads, however I have not seen one since the release of the SubGravity H3. I am curious if there is anyone who has been diving with both. If so, what is your overall opinion comparing the two computers (yes I have seen the comparison chart on SubGravity's website) . Ease of use, visibility, performance, functions, etc. I am in the market for a computer and am torn between the two. I have seen both in the store side by side, but as most of you know, they won't just let you hop in the ocean and take them for a spin. I wish they would because I will be heading on a dive trip in about a month to Jupiter, Florida again. It would be nice if Atomic Aquatics had their talked about (Ron has confirmed it's happening) wrist computer on the market. Should I wait for DEMA to see what hits the market and then make a purchase? Any rumblings of a new offering from Shearwater?

In the store the Petrel 2 and H3 seemed to be similar in weight. Obviously not size. I can't find the actual weight of the H3 published?? The Petrel 2 lists at 260g (0.57lbs).

I am HUGE on customer service and have read nothing but great things about Shearwater in this regard. The guys from SubGravity seem to be pretty active on this forum too which is always good.

What am I looking for? Well, you guys have all been over this a thousand times with many other threads....I want an awesome computer that will last a long time, fairly simple to use, great backing and support from the company, will cover recreational (which I will most likely remain) and tech if I decide later on. AI....well it sounds cool, but I have yet to try it. I have read it hasn't fully progressed to full reliability if you will. A buddy/mentor that dives tech says he doesn't use AI and I respect him. I am intrigued that SubGravity will be bringing this to the table soon I must admit. Basically I like to have the best.

I also can't help but wonder what Atomic's wrist offering will be like, but just like with an iPhone or any other technology...it is hard to wait around because there is always something bigger and better coming as they say. And there has been no confirmed release date at least that I know of.

Side Note: I will say currently the H3 is listed at $975. It was on sale for a few days around July 4th for a holiday sale I think it was. It was $200 off making it $775 which is in line with the Petrel 2. I am only considering it at that price because surely there will be another short sale special like that sooner than later.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses. I made this thread because it seems to me, and a few others after reading over a few hours worth of Petrel threads, that the H3 is one of the only, and in some's opinion, competitor to the Petrel 2. I would like some advice especially from the one's that have experience with both.

Last edited:
Personally I'd not be so keen on an Atomic should it ever eventuate. There have been too many issues with the Cobalt for my liking. I know Atomic customer service is great but I'd rather not have to be returning my computer once, twice or more as many have had to do. RonR seems like a great guy who does his very best to address issues and answer questions but I want a computer that just works, unlike Apple of recent years. The H3 might be nice, it certainly looks good, but for me it's too new at this stage to consider, a year or two down the line if I was in the market for a new computer, maybe. As of right now I own a Petrel and see absolutely no reason to change. I think if it's features suit it's very likely, in totality, the best computer currently on the market. Of course each to their own.

I have looked at the Petrel/H3/T1 side by side. If you do not need or want a watch size computer (I don't), the T1 wheel interface is light years ahead of either the Petrel or the H3 two-button interface. The T1 is not nearly as big as the Petrel on your wrist, and, according to the manufacturer's recent post on the H3 thread, its increased size over the H3 is due in part to a much larger battery--which is a good thing.

Between the H3 and T1, for me, the T1, absolutely no contest.

Although the Petrel is bigger, size does matter with regard to the display. The Petrel display is larger, so the numbers are bigger, and it is easier to read in bright conditions (such as on the boat in the sun--the shop did let me take them out to the parking lot). Comparing the Petrel "rec mode" to the T1 "big number" mode they are pretty close, with an edge to the Petrel. In "tech" mode the Petrel is even better with its big display, as the information is more readable. The T1/H3 '"standard" screen, which has the "tech" features like the tissue compartment bar graph, is hard to understand at a glance because it tries to cram too much info into too small a space.

I am waiting to see if SeaBear comes through with the AI, which is a feature i like and want in a computer. But I don't know how they are going to display the pressure and air time on the screen. That is why I have not pulled the trigger on a Petrel (which could easily show AI on the main or an alternate screen due to the space they have to work with). However, I am like Buddhasummer in that I am not an early adopter on things like dive computers. I want to see a track record. The Petrel has a track record, and if they implemented AI I would buy one tomorrow.

I have a Galileo, which has everything I want but for a color display. However, its LCD is so big, and so clear, and even more readable in bright light than color, that the color display has not become an overwhelming decisive advantage that makes me just desperate to change computers.

So, I remain on the fence, content with what I have for now.

Not sure what kind of diving you're doing but If you do tech or plan on it in the future... I would go with something that is tried and tested (actually even if you're not into tech). The Petrel is a very reliable and durable unit with a very good track record. Shearwater customer surface is legendary and they are always listening to feedback from the field and making improvements/fixes in firmware updates. These to me are the most important qualities in deciding on a computer in the league of a Petrel.

The rest comes down to your preferences in size, user interface, features etc.. all of which are important to consider, but the above mentioned is by far the overriding factor in my decision.

Guys, our customer service isn't too shabby, Just saying...! :)

Randy, I have to admit I was kind of hoping for a little more detailed response. Can you tell me the weight of the H3? I wasn't able to locate it on your website.

Randy, I have to admit I was kind of hoping for a little more detailed response. Can you tell me the weight of the H3? I wasn't able to locate it on your website.

Hi Thrash, I don't know off of the top of my head, but I will find out and get back to you. Sorry, didn't mean to blow off your question.

Kind regards,
Randy

Hi Randy - I don't think Subgravity's customer service is the question. You guys are top notch and treat your customers extremely well. But you are not the manufacturer; SeaBear is. So unless they have trained you to take them apart and service their innards, I have to assume that SeaBear would be in charge of fixing problems. We know how well Bruce (and Curt) handle these things, but SeaBear is just an unknown quantity at this point. The engineering seems to be top notch, but there will always be problems. Have they made any comments to you about turnaround time or replacements?

OK Thrash,

Here are the weight specs on the H3:

H3 with no wrist strap: 3.8 oz.
H3 with wrist strap: 5 oz.

Keep in mind, the case to the H3 is stainless steel and the lens is sapphire crystal. The computer could have been made to be lighter, but it would have come at a compromise in durability and structural integrity.

For a more detailed comparison chart of the H3 & T1 dive computers compared to several competitors, please see the following link: https://www.sub-gravity.com/comparison-chart/ This chart is not intended to belittle any other manufacturer's product. There are a lot of great dive computers on the market. It is simply a quick and easy reference between several dive computers on the market. (Please note, the information on the reference chart was gleaned from various manufacturer's websites and marketing material. SubGravity is not responsible for the actual accuracy of other manufacturer's representations)

Hope this helps. Feel free to let me us know if you have any additional questions.

Kind regards,
Randy

---------- Post added August 18th, 2015 at 06:24 PM ----------

Hi Randy - I don't think Subgravity's customer service is the question. You guys are top notch and treat your customers extremely well. But you are not the manufacturer; SeaBear is. So unless they have trained you to take them apart and service their innards, I have to assume that SeaBear would be in charge of fixing problems. We know how well Bruce (and Curt) handle these things, but SeaBear is just an unknown quantity at this point. The engineering seems to be top notch, but there will always be problems. Have they made any comments to you about turnaround time or replacements?
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the kind words!

Please keep in mind that I am not commenting on Shearwater's customer service or their turn around time. They have always shown to be great in this regard. I can only tell you that SubGravity usually turns around warranty issues within a week either by replacement, repair, or more often than not, instructing the computer's user on how to properly use the computer. I literally don't think anyone has had to wait longer than a handful of days on the very few units that we have received for service.

The H3 has been in the marketplace now for approximately 8 months, and we have had VERY few units experience problems. When they do, they are taken care of under warranty and dealt with professionally and quickly. Thus far, all warranty issues have been dealt with within a week.

Hope that helps.

Warm regards,
Randy

I have a Petrel 1, and have recently experienced their legendary customer service. When you think of customer service (repair work, ongoing product support), how long of a track record a company has is as important or more than the actual quality level. In this regard, Shearwater stands alone. Many companies start with great enthusiasm, but get overwhelmed by growth or new product launches.

One note on specs, the website lists the SeaBear's as having internal rechargeable Li-Ion. I will never again use any dive equipment that has batteries that cannot be user replaced in the field. Three time's i've had battery fail on a dive trip that I couldn't do anything about (2 Sola lights, my previous dive computer). Its just the nature of batteries, and not specific to any manufacturer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom