Shearwater Petrel 2 vs. SubGravity H3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Doppler,

i know they run the same basic algorithm, but do they give the same dive profiles? No differences in NDL or deco profiles when in use? Just curious, as not many people here seem to be diving both.

I have dived them on OC together with GF set to 30/70, and of course the very same gases. The sea bear will suggest optimal gases a bit more aggressively than the Petrel, but on mild decompression (max depth 45 metres, some cave penetrations in the two-hour mark to this point) both clear at very much the same time. The sea bear does switch a few minutes from the end to a STOP countdown timer... because I set it to do so... apart from that, both seem to be interpreting the Buhlman ZH-L 16 in very similar fashion.

One cool thing the sea bear has is near-field comms with wireless data download. Kinda impressive.

Also worth noting, the OLED display on the Sea Bear is colorful and high-res... I can read it very easily without cheaters in my mask.

The real take-home from my perspective is that we have two great PDCs to choose from. Each has pros and cons, either is a good solid buy backed up by a good company. Both will help save your arse if you did not plan a deco dive, either will help keep you safe if you did.

Thanks for the sound advice and information so far guys. Anybody been diving with both yet??

Randy....thanks for the weight specs. I'm still on the fence as I don't have the opportunity to dive either one. Any news of another $200 off Labor Day sale like the July 4th one?

We don't anticipate any price reductions or special sale prices happening anytime in the near future. We feel that the units are priced extremely competitively and we seem to be selling them as fast as we can ship them. Your individual SubGravity dealer may be able to help you out with pricing, but that would be up to them to make that determination.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2015 at 10:28 AM ----------

Have the "very few" issues been different issues or a consistent issue? Cheers.

Out of the several hundreds that we have sold in the USA over the past few months, we literally have only had a handful come back for service. A couple of those turned out to be "user error". The other 3 or 4 have had random small issues, which were replaced with brand new units, no questions asked. The H3 has been rock solid thus far and SubGravity stands behind them 100% as does SEABEAR.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2015 at 10:32 AM ----------

Just trying to understand. Isn't a rechargeable better? You can top it up every night post dive.

Part of the reason why the H3 has a small footprint and sleek design is because it uses a flat rechargeable battery. Extremely fast to recharge and holds its charge for a real long time. I just spent a week in Fiji diving my H3 and I didn't recharge it the entire week. Of course, amount of time in the water will impact battery life.

Quick rule of thumb for the H3 battery life:
1. in water dive time: approximately 14 hours
2. wearing it as a watch on surface: 1 month
3. sitting on a table not being used: 1 year

Hope this helps!

Randy,

Does the T1 have a larger battery? If so can you share the specs like the H3? Of the two I really liked the T1 better and I thought you said it was a little thicker because it had a much larger battery.

If you add AI at DEMA I might be on board before year's end!

Hi Guy,

The T1 has two of the same batteries found in the H3, so you can basically double the battery specs of the H3. (Approximately)

The user replaceable battery on the Petrel is pretty cool. I keep a couple of spare "AA's" and a quarter in a ziploc baggy in the padded bag I keep my Petrel in and they are always there if I need them. Both computers look excellent and you really can't go wrong with either.

I also like the user-changeable battery in my Galileo--30 seconds and its done. But, a rechargeable with over 25 hours of dive time does not sound bad and it eliminates the failure/diver error point of the battery compartment.

Tough choice when my time comes to upgrade . . .

All informative and beneficial responses. Thanks guys! Wish I could just get both, but not really practical right now considering either is overkill for me at the present. I like the best gadgets though so I definitely want one of the two. I guess asking Randy if there would be another $200 of sale was kind of a dumb question. Wouldn't make since for a seller to say "yeah wait a month or two before you buy because it will be going on sale." :wink:

Hi Randy, any news on H3 having an AI?

Are the earlier reports correct that the H3's display is overcrowded and displaying AI data might be a problem?

Is it confirmed that for those who bought H3 now, if and when Seabear comes out with AI, there will be no additional AI upgrade charge to users who bought the H3 when it didn't have AI yet?

Can software upgrades be done by the user via the Internet?

I hope you guys come up with the AI soon. If and when you do, the H3 will truly be a Suunto killer.

I guess asking Randy if there would be another $200 of sale was kind of a dumb question. Wouldn't make since for a seller to say "yeah wait a month or two before you buy because it will be going on sale." :wink:

"Hey Randy, are you going to have another raffle? And can you give me the winning ticket?"

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom