Shearwater Petrel 2 vs. SubGravity H3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With these two great products, Suunto is turning into Scuba's version of Blackberry.

Ha - wow, that struck me as particularly spot on assessment Divetech99. I keep waiting to see Suunto release a successor to their D6i / D9i / DX type watches, but seems like all their eggs are in the Eon Steel basket. I want an Apple watch I can dive with! Even if you're a Shearwater fan, it'd be a nice backup option and cool topside watch for the majority of life that Most of us spend above water. I'm fairly sure I'll pick up the H3 soon and hope it does the trick in that capacity.

Yeah. Up until 10 years ago, the Blackberry was the best smartphone in the market. They could have been so to this day. But complacency, arrogance, bad service, refusal to change to meet customers needs, overpricing, etc, led to their demise. Sounds a lot like the path Suunto is taking.

We have received numerous questions concerning the size and position of the buttons on the SubGravity H3, powered by SEABEAR- specifically if they are usable with dry gloves. Here is a little video to ease your mind!

I don't know about anyone else, but that video would be a lot more informative to me if the gloves were thicker, neoprene gloves, and the person were operating the H3 with it actually being worn on an arm, the way you would have it during a dive. Probably, over a dry suit.

Pinching with the fingertips, to operate a small button on the side, when the watch is on a flat surface (like a forearm) seems like it would be harder than holding it like in the video and being able to press the button with the middle of the pad of the finger.

I don't know about anyone else, but that video would be a lot more informative to me if the gloves were thicker, neoprene gloves, and the person were operating the H3 with it actually being worn on an arm, the way you would have it during a dive. Probably, over a dry suit.

Pinching with the fingertips, to operate a small button on the side, when the watch is on a flat surface (like a forearm) seems like it would be harder than holding it like in the video and being able to press the button with the middle of the pad of the finger.

That's exactly what I was thinking (although I do use dry gloves 90% of the time). Cinch it down over a dry suit with a thick undergarment and then see how easy it is to hit the buttons. I tried it in the LDS just on my arm and no gloves, and found it a little finicky. T1 was great though. I'm happy to take either (both?) for test dives and give a full report though :D

I got my H3 last week just need to go dive so back to work next week diving see if its up to par
il keep you informed with my findings!

Hi Stuart,

There is a video on one of the other threads showing the unit with button pushes while being worn on the arm. Although I personally find the dry gloves with heavy liner the most challenging configuration, we will make another video using a drysuit, with 5 mil neoprene gloves, with the unit worn on the arm, so there is no confusion as to the ease of button pushing. Give us till tonight to get the video posted and uploaded.

We truly do appreciate your and everyone else's interest in ensuring the H3 will meet your individual needs and are happy to try to answer any questions you might have.

Kind regards,
Randy

Last edited:
Haha. Funny video. Next thing you know, someone will ask for the same demo video while UW. I think bottomline is, it works even with thick gloves. Randy, the info on the 4 quadrant screen is user changeable, right?

Hi Stuart,

There is a video on one of the other threads showing the unit with button pushes while being worn on the arm. Although I personally find the dry gloves with heavy liner the most challenging configuration, we will make another video using a drysuit, with 5 mil neoprene gloves, with the unit worn on the arm, so there is no confusion as to the ease of button pushing. Give us till tonight to get the video posted and uploaded.

We truly do appreciate your and everyone else's interest in ensuring the H3 will meet your individual needs and are happy to try to answer any questions you might have.

Kind regards,
Randy

Would it be possible to make a few videos simulating NDL and deco dives, gas switching, setup, planning, etc, etc.?

Any AI developments?

Thanks

Thanks for posting the video. It seems clear the buttons work as designed. Now run that $200 off sale again for Labor Day so I can buy one of these for my dives at the end of this month!:cool2: I have some Amazon cards burning a hole in my pocket to go towards a new dive computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom