Shearwater Petrel....preorder???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pre-ordered a Petrel with VPM-B today; hope to see in a week or two based on what I was told.

Decided to try Shearwater despite a preference for the X1's form, U/I, and features, because of too many X1 horror stories involving battery issues and sub-par support...hopefully I won't regret it.

No need to have any skepticism when it comes to Shearwater. I would order 10, 5 is going to sell very quickly. The word is out on how good these guys are.

Once you dive with Shearwater you will never change, simple as that!!!

Im not selling them!!! Its for our group of divers that dive my boat consistently, we want to be consistent with a computer.....That being said, our order might be up to at least 6 and MAYBE 7. And - Im waiting to hear from a few guys still.

That one's mine ... got it in the mail yesterday ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How does the display look underwater? I haven't heard any reports yet. I didn't have them take it out of the case when I was there since I didn't have a spare $950 in my wallet (and they didn't go for my suggestion that they should sell it to me for half price since it was an open box display unit ...). I'm way tired of squinting an my low-contrast monochrome LCD trying to get just the right amount of light spill on the face.

How does the display look underwater? I haven't heard any reports yet. I didn't have them take it out of the case when I was there since I didn't have a spare $950 in my wallet (and they didn't go for my suggestion that they should sell it to me for half price since it was an open box display unit ...). I'm way tired of squinting an my low-contrast monochrome LCD trying to get just the right amount of light spill on the face.

Shearwater Predator on Facebook has posted several videos of the computer and screen and recently posted a comparative set of phots comparing the predator and petrel, side by side, on all 3 power settings. Pretty cool and the Petrel looks impressive.

Keeping in mind that I fully understand that in a picture,it is hard to differentiate - BUT - the pics loog good!

I haven't taken it underwater yet ... haven't had time to go through the manual and set it up the way I want. But I will tell you that the display (above water) is roughly as bright as my Liquivision Xen.

I don't expect to take it diving till my Port Hardy trip (I leave Sunday), since I have a Rescue class to finish up between now and then. I'll give it a good review with a side-by-side underwater comparison to the Xen when I return on the 24th ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

? about this petral. I have the i guess older version. when i saw the petral adds, it's enhancements seamed to be targeting the rebreather & nothing new for the non rebreathers types other than the smaller footprint. IF THAT IS TRUE then i see no benifit for us in the non RB seats. I personally like the size of the existing puter. the predator is the best thing since a sailors port call when it comes to ease of operation in the non RB use. I dont know about the RB modes cause i dont do rb's.

Okay you have your Petrel an you are going to Port Hardy. My jealousy rises as the moments tick away. Not sure where my Petrel is in the cue and haven't been to Port Hardy for years. Say hi to the wolf eels.

? about this petral. I have the i guess older version. when i saw the petral adds, it's enhancements seamed to be targeting the rebreather & nothing new for the non rebreathers types other than the smaller footprint. IF THAT IS TRUE then i see no benifit for us in the non RB seats. I personally like the size of the existing puter. the predator is the best thing since a sailors port call when it comes to ease of operation in the non RB use. I dont know about the RB modes cause i dont do rb's.

Well - best I can tell, it doesnt support external PPo2 monitoring yet - so Im not sure why you think its targeted at them. Differences I can tell are:

1) smaller (40% by volume is what is advertised) - Volume is slightly misleading but the actualy footprint of it is not that much smaller. AND - the screen size is the same exact size as the predator. Im not sure what benefit you might think a large form factor would have if the screens are the same size

2) Gauge mode - again - not limited to rebreather divers.....many OC tech divers only use computers in gauge mode and the predator does not have this

3) Battery options.....again, not sure how the new flexibility to batteries is a benefit to rebreathers. Seems to me its for everyone.

4) Lower price point. Not many manufacturers come out with a next gen product and realize cost savings of manufacturing, and decide to pass that along to the consumer. Clearly Shearwater went against the grain here as the Petrel is less expensive than any of the predator versions.

Im wondering what makes you think this computers advantages are for the rebreather VS OC any different than the prior version (Predator)

The display is so good a blind person can read it :shades:

Reactions: Jax
Wow .. I think this speaks very well of the Shearwater company .. Truth and reasonable precautions right there in plain english ... (note: this is NOT a complaint , this is a post congratulating them , Well Done Shearwater)
from the manual ...
WARNING

This computer has bugs. Although we haven’t found them all yet, they are there. It is certain that there are things that this computer does that either we didn’t think about, or planned for it to do something different. Never risk your life on only one source of information. Use a second computer or tables. If you choose to make riskier dives, obtain the proper training and work up to them slowly to gain experience.

This computer will fail. It is not whether it will fail but when it will fail. Do not depend on it. Always have a plan on how to handle failures. Automatic systems are no substitute for knowledge and training.

No technology will keep you alive. Knowledge, skill, and practiced procedures are your best defense (Except for not doing the dive, of course).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom