Shearwater Petrel Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I like the Predator over the Petrel, the screen is just easier to read, for me. Both are awesome computers though.
I agree with You.
I dove with both of them side by side and I could read the Predator better.

But, I am kind of old and my eyes are not that good anymore :depressed:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

+1 (Petrel is awesome.)

I share the negative (not a big deal) comment that the temperature sensor is a little high. I completed a dive on Saturday, my backup read 36F, buddy's computer read 36F and the Petrel was a little high at 40F.

I am just beginning to acculalate my Tech gear when I cam across this chart http://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Petrel_vs_Predator.pdf

As of right now I, from a Rec diver looking into Tech diving, I do not see any reason why I would not consider the Petrel. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the Predator as easy to work as the Petrel; I hate, (and yes hate IS a strong word) complicated DCs?
  2. Is a used Predator that much more of a value than a new Petrel?

I am hoping to make my purchase with this year's tax refund :)

Thanks,

~Oldbear~

I have both a predator and a petrel. The predator and the petrel both operate basically the same. You can pick either up and they are very self explanatory navigating the menus. The only real difference in the computers is the predator is slightly easier to read while the petrel is smaller and has the battery options. The petrel is selling for around $950 and most used stand alone predators are about $7-800. So the question basically boils down to what you get or don't get for about $200. If I didn't already have a predator I would buy the petrel.

Bamafan,

Petrel it is...:yeahbaby:

"Bama fan" ...OMG.:surprised

I'm a Fighting Irish fan.

We came to the BCS looking for a fight on the football gridiron :letsparty: and I think ND's cheerleading squad could have done a better job.:facepalm:

ND Cheerleader.jpg

We'll try again next year.
Thanks...for the Petrel info, not the BCS ass whoopin' :football::whack::football:

~Oldbear~

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the Predator as easy to work as the Petrel; I hate, (and yes hate IS a strong word) complicated DCs?
  2. Is a used Predator that much more of a value than a new Petrel?
They're equally easy to use in terms of U/I. My understanding is that most of the software differences (tissues bars, gauge mode, configurable middle row, etc.) will be eliminated in a forthcoming firmware update for the Predator. Size, ease of bungiee mounting, and AA battery options all cut in favor of Petrel.

IMO, the screen on the Petrel is easier to read underwater...I find the Petrel's LCD to be more like eInk or something, whereas the Predator's OLED screen has a weird hologram effect or something going on if I look at it wrong, and the font's edges are grainy-er. YMMV, and I think either screen is overkill in terms of clarity - it's dive data, not the superbowl FFS.

Pricewise, it's hard to beat $950 for a new Petrel (plus the $75 for unlocking VPM variants if that's your thing) when you compare it to things like the X1 or a new Predator. That said, $675 is what I recently paid for an OC only, VPM unlocked Predator in excellent condition with some extra Saft batteries and other goodies... and $350 saved is $350 for spending on something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom