Shearwater Petrel Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use & like both.

Petrel:
+ ability to use other batteries even if Saft remains best choice.
+ smaller size
+ bungee mount
+ support & upgrades from Shearwater
- Lcd screen. V readable but loss of green good, yellow needs checking, red needs action. Don't like the purply colors during gas switches as it is less easy to read
- bad temp sensor or software
- bluetooth playing up when alkaline with low voltage are uses

Predator:
+ Oled screen with clear color coding
- very big on wrist & gets in the way of deco cylinders. Be ready to scratch the hell out of it
- lack of availability of Saft in some countries (indo...)
- problem with battery connector on some models meaning low batt warning even when voltage is ok. Shearwater & others do provide a fix (but not in indo...)
- likely to be phased out with parts becoming unavailable ( oled?)

I would definitely go for a Petrel if buying today...
Both are great computers and it feels that it would be difficult to make them any better.

The only alternative i would consider comes from Heinrich-Weikamp!

Where to get Saft batteries online?

I am able to get them local at $10 a peace and I live in Africa! Not sure why the rest of the world is struggling???

Does anybody know if you can delete the factory pressure test dives off of the Petrel?

Nope, unlike the old v42 Predator firmware, the Petrel doesn't have a clear log function. I wish they'd add one.

Does anybody know if you can delete the factory pressure test dives off of the Petrel?
I was wondering the same thing. I tried and could not find a way to delete or clear the log.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm assuming the memory taken up by these test dives is so small that I won't miss it.

I don't see how the memory occupied by them matters. You'll eventually fill the memory, at which point my understanding is that the earliest dives will start being overwritten (starting with the test dives, followed by your dives). When that happens is a major difference between the Predator (20 hours stated log memory) and the Petrel (1000 hours stated log memory). http://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Petrel_vs_Predator.pdf

The memory taken by these two test dives doesn't matter.

I don't see how the memory occupied by them matters. You'll eventually fill the memory, at which point my understanding is that the earliest dives will start being overwritten (starting with the test dives, followed by your dives). When that happens is a major difference between the Predator (20 hours stated log memory) and the Petrel (1000 hours stated log memory). http://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Petrel_vs_Predator.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom