Shearwater Predator OLED versus UEMIS SDA OLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael,

Can you please pass on some feedback and questions to the guys at UEMIS.
Will do so
Update the specifications to show physical dimensions and screen size (Thanks ijdod!)

This video (wish itr was english!) I just found on the web is the first to really show its size properly: YouTube - Dive-NEWS.net Praxistest Uemis and its smaller than I was expecting!

Do they know an expected cost to replace the battery? Don't want a nasty shock in years to come!
We are looking at 75,- US give or take, depending on the battery technology available then.

I, like a lot of people, don't take a computer when travelling so the travel charger should really be included in the UEMIS package as it is an essential item - especially as they have priced themselves at the top end of the market IMHO.
The travel charger as well as the USB adapter is included in the Uemis package when you buy it from your dealer. If you want to buy at uemis.com directly, you can order items individually.

Are they going to be making a 12v charging adaptor for the UEMIS - cigarette lighter socket - another essential item when travelling and one I would be prepared to pay for due to its usefullness!
Due to the solar panel, we do not see a need for that at the moment

Does the safety stop countdown show seconds or just minutes? I prefer seconds as the wait seems to take for ever otherwise (purely subjective I know)
Minutes only, sorry...

Anymore news on a personal computer based logbook yet? Internet based is fine but for extended trips away from internet access it would be nice to review dives on our own computers!
We had several requests for that and we will be coming up with a solution. This might be an export function from MyUemis or something else, not sure yet. Also not sure when this will happen exactly, but it will come

Thanks

Michael

Thanks Michael for the support.

I had email contact with Ernst Voellm in the past asking about the logbook function as well.

He thinks that a) over time ppl will appreciate the web based visualisation and web apps are the way forward.... and b) the Zurich itself is a full blown logbook... hence export/imprt wasn't a priority.

I would call that a technologists view. Similar to the why would you want a user changeable battery - if we have solar cell that will recharge all the time / it will be many years till battery is depleated..

I suppose as an end user, I would like to be able to make certain choices how to use a product and if I feel its too restrictive, then I buy something that suits my needs more.

The two examples jumped at me initially when looking at the Uemis. Whether they are real issues, not sure, they are potential gut feeling deal breakers. The log book in particular and I'm not against the web based storage (as some other users don't feel comfy with), but personally I wouldn't like an export function from myuemis. As I still have to have internet connection to do so. A simple java webstart app that can be downloaded from myuemis once and is then running locally (just for export).

In particular on holidays, you cannot assume that ppl can connect their Zurich to a public computer to connect to myuemis (I wouldn't do it, if if I could), or have their personal laptops connected to internet...

Oh, and the battery is not user replaceble because its not cylindical / can't be sealed by small round cover.

Any word on the two software updates?

Michael
Due to the solar panel, we do not see a need for that at the moment

You could use any aftermarket 12V car USB adapter. My personal experience (Egypt Deep South, no clouds, February) is that the solar panel does not make me independent of the charger, so your milage may vary.

You could use any aftermarket 12V car USB adapter. My personal experience (Egypt Deep South, no clouds, February) is that the solar panel does not make me independent of the charger, so your milage may vary.

FWIW, my experience with the solar charger has been very good (I was truly a skeptic) I only tend to hook the Zurich up to the computer for uploading. i just leave it on the desk in the house or occasionally on the dining room table where it can get light from the window, and the ambient light is such that i'm not sure i've ever been below about 75-80% charge. I live in seattle and its been pretty grey this winter.

Thanks Michael for the support.

I had email contact with Ernst Voellm in the past asking about the logbook function as well.

He thinks that a) over time ppl will appreciate the web based visualisation and web apps are the way forward.... and b) the Zurich itself is a full blown logbook... hence export/imprt wasn't a priority.

I would call that a technologists view. Similar to the why would you want a user changeable battery - if we have solar cell that will recharge all the time / it will be many years till battery is depleated..

I suppose as an end user, I would like to be able to make certain choices how to use a product and if I feel its too restrictive, then I buy something that suits my needs more.

The two examples jumped at me initially when looking at the Uemis. Whether they are real issues, not sure, they are potential gut feeling deal breakers. The log book in particular and I'm not against the web based storage (as some other users don't feel comfy with), but personally I wouldn't like an export function from myuemis. As I still have to have internet connection to do so. A simple java webstart app that can be downloaded from myuemis once and is then running locally (just for export).
Like I said, we are looking at options. This might be another one.
In particular on holidays, you cannot assume that ppl can connect their Zurich to a public computer to connect to myuemis (I wouldn't do it, if if I could), or have their personal laptops connected to internet...

Oh, and the battery is not user replaceble because its not cylindical / can't be sealed by small round cover.

Any word on the two software updates?
The dive planner and the bottom timer function will be available shortly. They are up and running.

Hello,

yes, there is a reason why we went with 8 modified compartments rather than 16. If you want, I can send you a power point presentation explaining why, but your understanding of physiology and math should be very good ( and I do not want to sound as if you do not have that knowledge ).
In a nutshell, the Buehlmann 8 algorithm used is flexible based on your personal safety settings, but it also calculates with your actual work load ( based on air consumption), the micro bubble load as well as your tissue cooling. All those information can also be seen during the dive.
Michael

Michael,
thanks for the presentation..
Not sure I'm missing something... but I can't see any explanation why you didn't go with an enhanced ZH-L16 - which was the original question.
All you do is mention ZH-L16 in the historic overview.

While there is no ZH-L16 ADT, but there is ZH-L16 MB.
But what I find a bit peculiar is that you don't call the uemis algorithm ZH-L8 ADT+
but ZH-L8+ which makes one wonder whether you are even using the adaptive version. If not you could have modified/ enhanced ZH-L16 MB as well...

Thanks,
Ulrich

Well I decided finally and its going to be a............................

UEMIS!

Hope its the right choice ultimately but the developers/company and especially Michael seem very responsive to questions and queries and that is important to me!

Well I decided finally and its going to be a............................

UEMIS!

Hope its the right choice ultimately but the developers/company and especially Michael seem very responsive to questions and queries and that is important to me!

Sorry I didn't post earlier ....

Shearwater has at least equal to the best service you can get anywhere. I've talked with the owner several times and emails are answered quickly. They are generally not super active here, but contribute on more 'tech diving' type forums regularly - I assume this is due to most of their customers being in that realm, and the huge number of threads to go through here on SB, if you don't keep up.

I only had a brief time to look at the Uemis website - it appears that it is not trimix compatible. If you even have the slightest urge to go that root, then the Uemis may become a very expensive back-up timer.

Sure, they don't have an online dive log, but they do have one for PC/MAC that works great for me.

The menu system doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the Uemis, but personally, I prefer it that way. Their seemed to be a lot of (what I would call) fluff to the look and feel - form with little or no function.

I know there is a new firmware coming out to the Predator (free to all users) that will improve the menu system, amoung other things. (I don't know if the details are suppose to be public knowledge or not, so I won't go into them.)

I'd be happy to answer any specifc questions, or point you towards someone more knowledgable than myself if need be.

In the spirit of full disclosure:
I am in no way an employee or agent of shearwater, but do know some of them.
I have never gotten any special treatment from them for postings, or anything else for that matter.
I truely believe in the quality of the predator product, and that is the only reason for my posts.

I want to make sure these points are clear, as they were kind enough to agree to a reciprocal link between our websites - which does not represent any other link between our businesses.

If you check the website at Home - uemis - THE UNDERWATER REVOLUTION, you will see at the bottom left corner under the "News" section that the Trimix version is coming out summer 2010 as a free downloadable software upgrade:wink:
That news note was posted last year. We also had a Trimix version of the unit at BTS to show our dealers.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom