Shelf life of regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigduke12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So a year ago I got a great deal on two Mares first stages. They have the two year 200 dives service interval.

I use one and the other is still sealed in the box. Never used. If I decided to use it, in say three years, would it need to be serviced or inspected, or could it still be seen as brand new?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I'd take it out of the box, try it in a pool then test the the IP.

In theory the o rings will degrade a lubricants dry out eventually.

I would have it inspected. The rubber parts (o-rings, exhaust vent, etc) could be subject to degradation even if you aren't using it.

Even without opening it, a technician can measure the 1st stage to see if there is any "IP creep" that could indicate a problem with O-rings inside the first stage and it's pretty simple matter to take the 2nd stage apart to check if the diaphragm or exhaust valve isn't "falling apart".

That said, if you're planning on buying a reg and letting it stand for 3 years before using it, then I would advise you to buy one closer to the time you need it.

Finally, if it were my reg, I would just have it serviced. That way you know for *sure* that everything is in working order. That peace of mind is worth money to me.

R..

Service intervals are mainly designed to allow for people that don't look after their equipment. The regs could have been a year or two old when you bought them. So the question is how long is it possible to have a regulator without a service and still function OK. One of mine is now over 10 years.

It isn't "new" but almost certainly will function okay for the next five or six years :D

---------- Post added December 8th, 2015 at 11:22 AM ----------

....Finally, if it were my reg, I would just have it serviced. That way you know for *sure* that everything is in working order. ..

Most regs fail just after some kid has taken them to bits in a dive shop.

as has been said check or have checked the Intermediate Pressure; otherwise should be fine

Most regs fail just after some kid has taken them to bits in a dive shop.

Yeah... I don't know about that. In 30 years of diving I've only had 1 reg returned to me from maintenance that I had complaints about.

R..

Even without opening it, a technician can measure the 1st stage to see if there is any "IP creep" that could indicate a problem with O-rings inside the first stage and it's pretty simple matter to take the 2nd stage apart to check if the diaphragm or exhaust valve isn't "falling apart".

R..

As a nit-pick, IP creep would indicate a problem with the HP seat, not o-rings. O-rings in the first stage contain pressurized air from leaking to ambient, so an o-ring issue would be a leak and could be checked by submerging the pressurized reg. There's one exception, the tiny o-ring in the balance chamber, but that one doesn't leak very often.

If the regulator has been properly stored (not too hot) and was brand new 3 years ago, chances are very good that the 1st stage is fine, but it's still prudent to check. Much more likely would be some seat wear in the 2nd stage because there is spring pressure that pushes the orifice into the seat while the regulator is in storage.

As far as the diaphragm and exhaust valve go, those are silicone and with good storage they can last a looonnngggg time. I routinely dive with 2nd stages that have diaphragms 10-15 years old or more. You never know, but I'd be really surprised if they were degrading after only three years.

As a nit-pick, IP creep would indicate a problem with the HP seat, not o-rings. O-rings in the first stage contain pressurized air from leaking to ambient, so an o-ring issue would be a leak and could be checked by submerging the pressurized reg. There's one exception, the tiny o-ring in the balance chamber, but that one doesn't leak very often.

If the regulator has been properly stored (not too hot) and was brand new 3 years ago, chances are very good that the 1st stage is fine, but it's still prudent to check. Much more likely would be some seat wear in the 2nd stage because there is spring pressure that pushes the orifice into the seat while the regulator is in storage.

As far as the diaphragm and exhaust valve go, those are silicone and with good storage they can last a looonnngggg time. I routinely dive with 2nd stages that have diaphragms 10-15 years old or more. You never know, but I'd be really surprised if they were degrading after only three years.
I had a SP MK3 from the late 60's or early 70's and the silicone diaphragm in the 2nd was still good and usable...FWIW
After having a lot of old regs apart and seeing that there really isn't much to them, and parts last a lot longer than what you'd think. Which also gave me a visual that a lot of the scare tactics used by dive shops about the voodoo of reg servicing intervals borders on ridiculous. The only thing that ruins the internals of regs are stupid techs and salt water.
I'd check the IP and if it's good run it.

Correction: I meant the 108 2nd that came with the MK3.
A MK3 is a simple unbalanced piston...predecessor of the MK2.

As a sideline, just to illustrate how easy those MK3's are to fix, I pulled the grand total of 2- O-rings out, went to my local True Value Hardware and matched up the O-rings, cleaned and lubed up the barrel and piston, flipped the HP seat, fired the thing back together and had another great working reg.

Last edited:
Yeah... I don't know about that. In 30 years of diving I've only had 1 reg returned to me from maintenance that I had complaints about.

R..

Obviously that is entirely dependent on the technician. It might even vary by day with the same technician, everyone has bad days right? I've had a certified scubapro tech at a "platinum" scubapro dealer break part of an s600 second stage when he changed out the cover for me. I've also had good experiences with service from the same shop.

That said, I would take the thing in for a full service. I may be buying into the hype for service intervals, but I'm happy sticking to the recommended service intervals. Also, I always get something checked when it is purchased - if it doesn't come from a shop that includes such service free when selling stuff. A 3 year old something? I'd prefer to have the peace of mind knowing a tech inspected it over having the cash in my pocket.

I don't really know what the deal is with regulator cleaning. I always go to great lengths to rinse and soak my stuff. EVERY time I bring my stuff in, the guy makes some comment about how I must not be taking care of my gear because of salt crystals or other nastiness. The first time that happened I gave him a big WTF and defended myself. He showed me the nastiness.

I'd dive it right out of the box.. Hook it up and check for leaks.. Plan a easy first dive.. I have a conshelf XIV from 1978 that has only it seat swapped over... And I put a new diaphragm in last year ...

Jim....

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom