Sherwood Beacon any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello fellow divers!

My primary computer is an Aqualung i200c and I'd like to have a compact AI console computer as my backup. In the future I'd like to replace my i200c with a Perdix.
Any thoughts about the Sherwood Beacon?

Hi @WilliamT

The Sherwood Beacon is a Pelagic Pressure Systems computer (Aqua Lung, Genesis, Oceanic, Sherwood, previously Aeris and Hollis). The Beacon runs the DSAT decompression algorithm. Your i200c runs PZ+. The Sherwood would be more liberal than the Aqua Lung. The quality is probably good. The DSAT algorithm is a reasonably good fit for Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF, there are many posts on SB discussing this.

The Beacon seems to be going for about $1100 with a list of $1265. That is pretty expensive. If you really want a console, the Oceanic Pro Plus 4 with compass and QD can be had for about $880. The Sherwood Wisdom Pro Pack is about the same. I guess the Beacon wins on size.

If you are not wedded to a console, but want AI, you might consider the Oceanic Geo Air. It will go for about $800 and the transmitter will also work with Shearwater computers. I dive a very old Oceanic VT3 and a Shearwater Teric running off a single PPS transmitter.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. If you are aiming toward a Perdix, many people would recommend you aim toward 2 computers running Buhlmann.

Good luck

Scrolling through the "What's new" and this post popped up.

Read as "Sherwood Bacon", clicked link with interest, was disappointed...

carry on...

Hi @WilliamT

The Sherwood Beacon is a Pelagic Pressure Systems computer (Aqua Lung, Genesis, Oceanic, Sherwood, previously Aeris and Hollis). The Beacon runs the DSAT decompression algorithm. Your i200c runs PZ+. The Sherwood would be more liberal than the Aqua Lung. The quality is probably good. The DSAT algorithm is a reasonably good fit for Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF, there are many posts on SB discussing this.

The Beacon seems to be going for about $1100 with a list of $1265. That is pretty expensive. If you really want a console, the Oceanic Pro Plus 4 with compass and QD can be had for about $880. The Sherwood Wisdom Pro Pack is about the same. I guess the Beacon wins on size.

If you are not wedded to a console, but want AI, you might consider the Oceanic Geo Air. It will go for about $800 and the transmitter will also work with Shearwater computers. I dive a very old Oceanic VT3 and a Shearwater Teric running off a single PPS transmitter.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. If you are aiming toward a Perdix, many people would recommend you aim toward 2 computers running Buhlmann.

Good luck
Thanks for the great info and advice. Definitely food for thought!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom