Sherwood Maximus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for opinions on a new Sherwood Maximus and Pro for travel and mostly warm but some cold water rec diving, serviceability worldwide, and how they compare to something like a z2 or c370. Sherwood doesn't get mentioned much.

It's a great regulator with a long pedigree. Sherwood has been making regulators before Scubapro was even born, much less Atomic. Good cold water tolerance, and the first stage is environmentally sealed - uncommon for a piston. Atomic offers it, but it's a much pricier service, that shop techs don't like to do.

All three seconds mentioned are solid regs.
I'd get the one that's serviced locally for you by a shop you trust. That'll be the bigger determinant of your long term satisfaction.

Sherwood doesn't get much love on the West Coast but that's mostly a distribution quirk. Great reg.

Once you say "worldwide" however, there's only one brand you can trust to have experienced techs everywhere: Scubapro. But when I'm diving overseas, I bring a second reg set. I don't EVER trust service by a strange shop.

I can't speak for newer Sherwood Maximus but I've been diving mine worldwide for 25 or so years. I've only ever needed it looked at once when I was away and that was in Belize. The service tech was very familiar with the reg, as were all of the guides.

I've often thought about how nice it would be for me to have a new reg, especially since I haven't dived cold water in a couple of decades. But why? It still works as well as the day it came out of the box. Ok, that's a little exaggeration but even so, a great reg that will last me until I'm finally done diving.

Well, Sherwood pulled out of the DACH (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) market, if not Europe altogether, a few years ago. So no service here. The Maximus are really nice, but the SR1 and SR2?

Well, Sherwood pulled out of the DACH (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) market, if not Europe altogether, a few years ago. So no service here. The Maximus are really nice, but the SR1 and SR2?
Did all of the people trained in reg service pull out too?

I can attest to the SR1 once updated which it is with a service and the SR2 being very good .

Hello,

As I wrote above there is no official distributor in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. In the transition phase from a dsistributor to no distributor, there was the idea/rumor that Sherwood would be distributed from England, but that never happened. So, I assume that there is currently no official Sherwood distribution in Europe. If customers want their Sherwoods serviced, they come with parts from Canada, the USA or the Carribean according to the stickers. But most customers switched to other brands.

Best wishes Jens

Back
Top Bottom