Sherwood Wisdom computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm being told that August 30 is the date I should be seeing them. Don't hold me to that, as it's still in the hands of the software engineers creating it.

I'll be happy to keep everybody posted on the progress on this as I hear more!

shrwdtech:
I'm being told that August 30 is the date I should be seeing them. Don't hold me to that, as it's still in the hands of the software engineers creating it.

I'll be happy to keep everybody posted on the progress on this as I hear more!

Since the P/C Download Software is now readily available (4/2004) through dealers, I am wondering one thing prior to purchase..... What can one expect for battery life based on executing downloads of dive data? I expect it would be deminished - any feedback on how significantly?

Ive got a buddy with a wisdom....well had a wisdom, its been sent back to the manufacturer because the scroll button has failed, out of three people i know using them, 2 have had the same problem. He wouldnt be so upset about it accept that he sent it back 5 weeks ago and they still havent told him whats going on with it.....He told me today that when he gets it back he will be trading it in for a Uwatec smartcom
Hes also heard that the software would cost him $400 NZ...pretty steep considering that the uwatecs have software included with the computer. I dive a smartcom and have never had a problem after 120 + dives

I had an early production Wisdom that had a warranty issue and the turn around time was about 2 weeks from the time I sent it to the time I got it back.

Sherwood is also now selling the Wisdom in a very competively priced package with a compass, quick disconnect and the download software.

I have not noticed any problem with downloads affecting battery life. The D/L process is quick and I would expect 100 dives on a battery. That will mean a full season per battery for most divers and the CR2450 is cheap and commonly available. You can also change the battery in the middle of the diving day without losing your O2 and N2 loading info as long as you do it within 8 seconds (which is not hard to do).

Way faster and easier than changing the battery in an Uwatec.

It's funny that everyone talks about the displays, and the look of computers here... but virtually no one points out the huge difference in the allowable bottom times between the different ones...

I've mentioned it before... but here I go again... Take for an example, a 60 foot dive on Air.

US Navy Tables 60 minutes
Padi & Naui Tables 55 minutes
Aeris / Sherwood Computer 57 minutes
Uwatec or Suunto 48 minutes

A bunch of us went to Truuk Lagoon - 100 ft dives 5 a day on Aeris computers... the folks on the Uwatec or Suunto would be sitting out at least one a day due to the conservatism of their units... and that was on 32 Nitrox. On air the darn things are so conservative - they tell you to head to a chamber if there is high humidity!

There is nothing wrong with playing things safe - but if I want to be a bit conservative - I'll just make sure I never get within 10 minutes of my deco time on the computer... But I like the fact the computer is giving me the actual allowable time based on the studies. And the Dan Studies show that your chances of getting bent are less than 1 in 28,000 - and that is normally due to ascent rate and dehydration... So, since I've got about 8,000 dives behind me... I think I'll dive the Aeris for the next 20,000 dives... then maybe I'll switch to an uwatec.... This way, I don't lose 10 - 15 minutes of allowable bottom time on each dive!

The current Uwatec offerrings are not the most conservative computers I have ever seen. I had a couple of previous Scubapro computers (a TRAC and an EDI) that were extremely conservative in the middle depth range.

60 ft = 34 min, 70 ft = 25 min, 80 ft =19 min, 90 ft = 15 min, 100 ft = 13 min.

compared to my Wisdom:

60 ft = 57 min, 70 ft = 40 min, 80 ft =30 min, 90 ft = 24 min, 100 ft = 19 min.

They are awesome. I love mine.

The only thing I have seen about them is my regular dive buddy also has one and his just died right in the middle of our dive. It was a night dive so that made it real interesting. No backup air gauge so we were done. he took it in and the dealer said it's just dead. Never deen that before. sent it in for warantee repair. Should be back soon.

even after that I would still buy one. They are just awesome.

Warren_L:
Ok, I'm not looking forward to dropping large for a computer, but I think I'm just going to bite the bullet here.....

I've not seen much feedback or information the the Wisdom computers. Seems to have a lot of good features including AI. Anyone have one or used one? I can't tell if they can be wrist mounted or not.

I was just wandering if anyone else has had problems with their wisdom computer.
I just made about my 16th or 18th dive using mine. I was at about 18ft heading to shore after a 70 minute dive and the computer started beeping like crazy. Max depth for this dive was about 19 feet. I looked down at it and it was scrolling the message "Too Deep" before going into what I suppose is some sort of lock mode. All the graphs were flashing and the depth nolonger displayed. Naturally I aborted the dive.

Is this the same problem that others have had... that have had to return them to the manufacture?

That would be pretty much the problem I had except I had no beeping as the alarm was deactivated. The previous dive had a pretty significant depth error as well so I suspect the root of the problem was in the depth sensor.

Ditto. I just sent my Wisdom in Yesterday for repair after I decided that I plunged to a depth of 280ft, and returned to the surface in 12 minutes.

I was also have a problem with the scroll button, and noticed that the LCD display was getting a little off.

I'm hoping that they remedy the issue quickly and easily.

S

Back
Top Bottom