Ship hits Woodhouse Reef, Tiran, Sharm El Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a photo one of our colleagues in Sharm shot from a plane.

Photo copyright goes to Amr Aboulfath.

Attachments

• CSCL.jpg
    CSCL.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,054
Last edited:
Very cool shot.

The bizarre thing is that the shipping lane is two reefs to the ship's right not left. I wonder why they were even in the middle of the gulf. They should have been following the coastline down to the right hand side of Gordon Reef... if they were to hit any reef it should have been the Western side of Gordon... although maybe they could see the Loullia and were trying to avoid that? I am sure there will be many a story to tell about it. I guess it is a classic reminder not to rely on technology alone. The reef would have been in quite clear sight, had they been looking.

Funny that this ship had already had another collision with another boat.
Obviously the captain track record gives some hints.
Woodhouse has been lacking good fish action for a few years and seems like the ship can't be repaired and will be sunk, maybe this turns out for good with a good wreck?

The wind is picking up from the north and the ship has turned 90 degrees to the west and getting closer to Thomas reef. Two tugs are stopping the ship from turning any further and hitting Thomas reef (photo attached).

Source: Red Sea Diving: Update 3. Ship Crash. Hits Woodhouse Reef

Attachments

• CSCL_Tugs.jpg
    CSCL_Tugs.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 46,944
Asser sorry but I don't think that the bidding for the salvage should be a priority really the Egyptian authority should get moving a bit faster

Asser sorry but I don't think that the bidding for the salvage should be a priority really the Egyptian authority should get moving a bit faster
I totally agree. Actually the first move towards assessing the situation was 4 days after the collision!

Last edited:
Well I was in Ras Mohammed today and saw a container ship heading southward, which the crew on my boat reckoned was the stricken ship.. hmmm not sure if it would have been able to float after that incident, but if it was, then that can only be good news.

Sadly the reef will not be recovering quite so easily. Here is a video shot of the initial damage:

Wreck Video

The good bit is the turtle having a little mosey around. You can really see how the coral has just been ripped into :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom