Ship hits Woodhouse Reef, Tiran, Sharm El Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys -

There's a rumour circulating here (I work in Sharm also) that the ship may have been ordered to turn away from the coast by the Navy, because the president was at home.

(For those who don't know, the Egyptian president has a residence in Sharm and when he is at home, there is a 3 mile exclusion around the area and we have to sail half way to Saudi Arabia to get to Tiran in the process!)

The captain therefore deliberately attempted to navigate a 230 metre long vessel with a 35 metre beam through an 80 metre gap. Technically possibly, but the wind howling down the Straits of Tiran can be pretty strong and would have hit him broadside. I don't think the conditions were too rough that day but you can also get some pretty strong currents in the area.

Could there possibly be any truth in this?

C.

Mubarak is inside the Jolie Ville and usually you get turn away at the garden. So why the boat would have not passed the channel and turned after?
I read this boat had already another collision two years ago which makes it a bit of a bad horse?
Besides in the Grafton passage at low tide it could have been stranded again close to jackson

well yeah that was my first thought when I heard it: why would they force her to turn there, rather than let the vessel continue past gordon and away out to sea. It seems a little daft if that really was the case... but first impressions seem to suggest that the ship was deliberately guided in that direction, as opposed to a steering failure, for example.

The big question now is what they're going to do about getting all the containers off. If they have to be removed in situ that will require a massive crane ship and a smiliarly sized ship to move them away; how that is accomplished without smashing up the reef even further we will wait and see.

I don't know interceptor personally but I guess updates will follow as and when we actually find out anything more!

Cheers,

C.

I haven't been to Tiran since the ship hit Woodhouse but I did see if from the shore at Ras Ghamila. I understand she ploughed about 35 metres into the reef? I haven't seen the hole, and there may be enough room there for a shamandoura to shelter a couple of dive boats, but otherwise I don't think it would be much use? Hammerheads maybe - but we all go to Jackson for those...

Yes, apparently she has been finally floated off the reef.

Yesterday a group of divers were planning to mark up and assess the damage. Partly for research, and party to work out how much the company will be fined for the damage caused. They will be charged according to the area of coral damaged, although I am not sure how much.

I'm going up there today for the first time since it happened, so if the weather permits, and my guests are up for it, I will see if we can dive it and take a look for ourselves... not sure if my guests will really want to see a big white hole in the coral though :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom