Ship hits Woodhouse Reef, Tiran, Sharm El Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thats a massive fine isint it,espcially since it was an accident how can they justify that much of a fine

Accident it might have been, but an accident that should never have occured. If the steering mechanism was at fault that would have meaned major systems failures to the rudder, screws (I assume a ship that size has more than one propellor) and engine, if they could not be reversed. There are two visible beacons at the northern and southern end of the reefs and this is a major shipping channel so even if the GPS systems were broken the captain should have been able to see these.

I still contend, from what I've heard, that the captain deliberately tried to navigate a 230 metre long vessel with a beam of 32 metres loaded 10 stories high with containers through an 80 metre gap turning broadside into a wind of probalby 15 knots (ish) on the day; which is sheer stupidity.

Regardless, 20 million Euros is peanuts to these companies; there was talk that the ship would be scuttled instead of salvaged and repaired, although I haven't as yet heard what will happen to it. Shadow - have you heard anything? If you can afford to sink a ship of that size as an insurance write-off, 20 million Euros is pocket change.

Would love to hear any updates on this.

Cheers

C.

The reef in this area is all protected. If a ship under your control crashes into it, for whatever reason, you are fined per square metre of damage.

The fine that they received is actually less than it should have been (I don't know if the 20million is the amount or not however) as when the damage was measured, it turned out to be greater than initially thought. There is a large area of reef, totally decimated 45m by 45m, and that will take many many years to recover (if it ever does fully recover).

I dived it the other day, and it is a sorry sight, there is a huge curved chunk knocked out of the coral at around 5m up to the surface, and coral rubble is strewn down the reef from this point.

I would imagine that it will be the ship's insurance company that pays the fine. Also if the fines are high, it does tend to discourage people from damaging even the smallest bit of coral intentionally.

In my opinion 20 million euros is nowhere near enough...

C.

In my opinion 20 million euros is nowhere near enough...

C.

No, but it's a good starting place.

I was diving in Tanzania early this year where there was a lot of dynamite fishing going on. Incredibly destructive. Tracts of reef 100m x 50m wide, many of them, practically devoid of any life, just these tiny fragments of blasted coral.

If every damage of significance through neglicence or intent was penalised to the tune of 20m euros then we'd been living in a very beautiful coral heaven.

So whilst it might not represent the true cost of the damage done, 20m sounds like a reasonable entry fee into this most despicable of clubs.

J

Shadow - have you heard anything? If you can afford to sink a ship of that size as an insurance write-off, 20 million Euros is pocket change.

Would love to hear any updates on this.

Cheers

C.
No, unfortunately I haven't heard anything yet. Will keep you updated on that.

Chinese boat hurts the enviroment!!!!I don't believe it.:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Got info today from a not very reliable source that the ship paid a 165 million LE (more than 20 million Euro) fine. Anyone can confirm this?
Now I can deny this piece of info.

"The owners of the cargo ship that smashed into Woodhouse Reef off the Strait of Tiran have been ordered to pay up to five million US Dollars by the Egyptian government for damages to the environment."

Source: Blue magazine issued by CDWS.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom