shipwrecks at Tobermory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful shot!
Now I want to make the drive up :)

I don't know if this diver/photographer Jerzy Kowalczuk is on the forum, but here is one of his pictures from diving Tobermory within the last week or so....... still looks cold to me..

from Wetpixel Underwater Photography forum, by Jerzy Kowalczuk

Do tell: What undies were you using, and what did you find that was warmer?
I was wearing ancient old 400 gsm Viking under a Viking ProTech. "Old" is the key word though... it's at least a decade old, so it's probably more like 150 gsm weight... But I had a sweatshirt under it, and longjohns!

Conveniently, I won... WON... a nice new set of this SANTI stuff: Men’s Extreme BZ 400X | SANTI which goes very nicely with my nice new SANTI eMotion suit. It's pretty damn warm, although a lot of my "softer" friends have incorporated heated vests and so on into their gitch. Big whimps... ;-)

---------- Post added May 10th, 2015 at 11:04 PM ----------

Excellent thread -- I'll be in Tobermory in early September [right after Labour Day] and I'm hoping my semi-dry/hooded vest/Thermolution shirt combo will be enough.

Is this a good place for me to do a Wreck Diving specialty?

Yes and yes... contact either Mike at Divers Den, or Zsolt through G+S... both very competent local instructors. The Niagara II is an excellent training site for this with lots of penetration.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2015 at 11:12 PM ----------

I don't know if this diver/photographer Jerzy Kowalczuk is on the forum, but here is one of his pictures from diving Tobermory within the last week or so....... still looks cold to me..

I don't know that George (Jerzy) is on here, but he took those shots maybe 4 weeks ago. He tends to post over an extended period. That wreck is the Alice G., which is a nice little shore dive... about 300' from my front door.

It's currently 8°C air in Tob currently, water is about 35°F/1.5°C, top to bottom. There doesn't seem to be ice visible on the water, although there is likely some drifting around out there someplace. A friend told me that the inside pool in the grotto is still ice.

So it's pretty nippy yet, but give it a month and it'll be a balmy 37°F. :) Good times!

I was wearing ancient old 400 gsm Viking under a Viking ProTech. "Old" is the key word though... it's at least a decade old, so it's probably more like 150 gsm weight...

Seems to be a trend. There were several sets of Viking Thinsulates for sale at the OUE Scuba Swap this year. I'm still wearing mine, which is why I asked. I didn't get any undies, but I DID win a wetsuit in a lucky draw. It didn't fit though, so I sold it to one of your Tobermory neighbours, and bought one that did. :D

I dunno, still sounds a little far from balmy to me! Pretty nice "front yard" dive feature, just needs palm trees and the thermostat turned up:D

I've been diving in Tobermory since 1974... two weeks after I got certified. I've either rented or owned a place in town since 1985, and my first real job after University was managing the dive lodge on Big Tub... Personally, I love our cold water (It was invented here, you know, cold water...) It keeps our old wooden boats nice and firm, and the vis fantastic. I can remember diving into the hold of the Arabia 30 years ago and finding corn there, under the silt, which was still firm and probably edible. The Arabia sunk in 1884!

If you look at my little website Wetspot Images, all of the images currently in the "Shipwreck" gallery are from the Tobermory area. They're much higher resolution images that we can post here.

Here's a shot of the foredeck of the Arabia, with my friend in her baggy wetsuit! She's in about 95' here.

Attachments

• Jen Arabia Windlass SM © DSC_3278.jpg
    Jen Arabia Windlass SM © DSC_3278.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
I was wearing ancient old 400 gsm Viking under a Viking ProTech. "Old" is the key word though... it's at least a decade old, so it's probably more like 150 gsm weight... But I had a sweatshirt under it, and longjohns!

Conveniently, I won... WON... a nice new set of this SANTI stuff: Men’s Extreme BZ 400X | SANTI which goes very nicely with my nice new SANTI eMotion suit. It's pretty damn warm, although a lot of my "softer" friends have incorporated heated vests and so on into their gitch. Big whimps... ;-)

---------- Post added May 10th, 2015 at 11:04 PM ----------

Yes and yes... contact either Mike at Divers Den, or Zsolt through G+S... both very competent local instructors. The Niagara II is an excellent training site for this with lots of penetration.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2015 at 11:12 PM ----------

I don't know that George (Jerzy) is on here, but he took those shots maybe 4 weeks ago. He tends to post over an extended period. That wreck is the Alice G., which is a nice little shore dive... about 300' from my front door.

It's currently 8°C air in Tob currently, water is about 35°F/1.5°C, top to bottom. There doesn't seem to be ice visible on the water, although there is likely some drifting around out there someplace. A friend told me that the inside pool in the grotto is still ice.

So it's pretty nippy yet, but give it a month and it'll be a balmy 37°F. :) Good times!
Softy stoo will enjoy hot soup though this weekend.

Softy stoo will enjoy hot soup though this weekend.

Haha.... That's enough outta you Grasshopper. It was good soup, and burgers too! :D

Just did two days in tobermory ( first time there :) ) Thursday and Saturday - water temp tropical 37-43F lol
Vis was outstanding from 60-100' + ? was able to see almost end -end on the Wetmore
Did James king - Wetmore then Niagra II and Scoville awesome dives - calm water just cold.
also no fish in sight except rounded Gobys ....normal ?

Attachments

• MICR0213.jpg
    MICR0213.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 253
counting days.... 1 week from tomorrow we arrive. For the sake of my wife, would someone please turn up the heater! :D

also no fish in sight except rounded Gobys ....normal ?

Georgian Bay is somewhat sterile... Any fish that are there are either in marshy areas or very deep... Salmon, lake trout, whitefish all like deep, cold water. They're all pretty skittish fish too... bubbles spook them.

Some of the shallower wrecks like the Wetmore and Cleveland have tons of bass on them... just not when there's a boat-load of divers there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom