shock cord fin straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob figured this out a while ago! Bungie on my FF's for well over ten years. Hey I might change them just for the hell of it!
See you topside! John

Great ideas! I've been looking for something for my Quatro's, but haven't been impressed with either the quality, or price of what I've found.

That's why I'm saying that there will be a compression but it will be minimal.

Water would definitely replace the air, and surely at the start.
But when you go deeper, water can not be compress it will just move and give way for two shock cord to touch.
Those differences are in the order of .001mm that's why I repeat.

I hypothesize that it will compress, but in such a small way that it may be neglected.

But, you need to take into account that over time the shock cord will get slack and you will need to replace it.

EDIT:
The shock cord is made of multiple rubber cords, the spacing between them will become smaller and smaller, until it reaches the "real" size of the cord.
The shock cord will get thinner, but I guess it won't affect it's capacity to hold what you want. It may cause a change of 1/8" or 1/4" (wild guess) but not so much as to change the pressure applied on your boots. Just put them tight, not too tight, at the surface and it could work.
I'm sorry, I'm a metric guy so my guesses were crazy. I meant ( it may cause a change of 1/32" or 1/16") on a big shock cord like the 1/4" or 3/8" Diameter ones. A quarter inch is likely the size the sell the shock cord. Sorry

Force Fins come with a shock-cord/bungee strap. I've done well in excess of 2000 dives with the original shock-cord straps that came with mine,........ no issues yet.

Andy, would you let me try out your FFs the next time we go diving? Just to try... though I think they'd look funny with a double-hose set-up :D

I never tried that, but it should work. I would NOT use zip ties. I would use nylon string to tie a a few constrictor knots which will never slip. When tieing the knots, i would have someone help and have them stretch the bungi material, so when it is released, the bungi will expand and the knot will hold forever.

The whole discussion of pressure compressing the bungi is ridiculous, STRETCHING of it will reduce the thickeness in the proximity of the knot.. Kinda obvious if you have played with this tuff at all.

Look up constrictor knot at animatedknots.com or something similar.

Would a fisherman knot, like on the bungee necklace work? What do you do with the excess in a constrictor knot?

A lot of knots work if you really make them tight. A whipping with sail twine is the most reliable solution I have found so far, especially if you push ends through the bungee with a sail needle.

To the OP. Instead of the zip-tie tie a Figure 8 knot so the farther loop of the 8 fits over the post. Tighten it up snug. An overhand knot on the loose end should make sure it can't slip back through the Figure 8.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom