Shoot a Scuba Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the bullet type would be more of a factor in penetrating a tank. A pointed steel core bullet would be much more affective that the ball ammo porbably used with the pistol rounds. And in case anyone was thinking of taking their Glock diving. Don't first you have to have the right parts, second you would blow your eardrums out.

scubatoys:
Well, ever since the Myth Busters when they shot that tank to show it wouldn't blow up... I wondered... How much gun does it take to rip a hole in a tank.

Thought I'd Share: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/tankbullets.asp

hehe nice and thanks for sharing. i wonder, no one here sells 7mm bullets here. for what gun are they?

scubatoys:
Well, ever since the Myth Busters when they shot that tank to show it wouldn't blow up... I wondered... How much gun does it take to rip a hole in a tank.

Thought I'd Share: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/tankbullets.asp

Good job! In the movie Jaws, The police chief used a M1 Garand rifle, and was it was a steel tank?

Try that.

Hehe, I'm still waiting for them to shoot a scuba tank underwater..
Oh, the carnage, the bubbles.. C'est magnifique.
Btw that link on your page is just hilarious.
'If that tank was hopped up on drugs... it would still get you'

renpirate:
Fine, so if it attacks you on land you can use your trusty 7mm, but what if it attacks you underwater? Would a bang stick be effective? Perhaps, we can develop some chemical or electric killer tank repellant. Oh my God, what if the tank on my back turned against me!!!!

Cool experiment guys.
I think the only way to control these out of control scuba tanks is confront it with its worst nightmare.
An overweight, chainsmoking, air hogging diver.
Lol just give him your octo, he'll suck your tank dry in no time eyebrow

ereediver:
And in case anyone was thinking of taking their Glock diving. Don't first you have to have the right parts, second you would blow your eardrums out.

Correct..

Finally a subject that combines my professional job (gunsmith) and my hobby (diving).

The Glock 17 was originally the one designed to be fired underwater, under certain conditions. It has been rumored that the other models will, but I wouldn't do it.

This can only be done with the maritime spring cups installed, special, waterproofed, non-expanding ammunition (we don't want hollowpoints expanding in the barrel, do we?)

The range of the rounds fired is severely limited. Probably (I'm guessing) would be limited to 5 feet or so, with the energy of the round fired dropping FAST.

As ereediver mentioned, the most important aspect of this is your eardrums. Upon firing the first round, both of your ear drums would explode, REALLY wrecking your day. Earplugs? Not much help for a diver, can't wear them underwater anyway.

Advise? Don't do it.

So, the moral of the story, your Glock isn't the preferred weapon of choice when subduing charging, rabid tanks underwater.

Darin

Spoon:
hehe nice and thanks for sharing. i wonder, no one here sells 7mm bullets here. for what gun are they?
My first guess would be that the round was a 7mm Remington Magnum, which many rifles can be chambered for.

There are many other rifle rounds that push a 7mm bullet, so I would ask Larry what was used.

Two threads on this subject? One was MORE than enough!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom