Shoot a Scuba Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamdiver:
I think the only way to control these out of control scuba tanks is confront it with its worst nightmare.
An overweight, chainsmoking, air hogging diver.
Lol just give him your octo, he'll suck your tank dry in no time eyebrow

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! That would do it! :D

drbill:
Two threads on this subject? One was MORE than enough!!
at the risk of being sarcastic, one could always ignore the unwanted threads.. :D

Darin:
Correct..

Finally a subject that combines my professional job (gunsmith) and my hobby (diving).

The Glock 17 was originally the one designed to be fired underwater, under certain conditions. It has been rumored that the other models will, but I wouldn't do it.

This can only be done with the maritime spring cups installed, special, waterproofed, non-expanding ammunition (we don't want hollowpoints expanding in the barrel, do we?)

The range of the rounds fired is severely limited. Probably (I'm guessing) would be limited to 5 feet or so, with the energy of the round fired dropping FAST.

As ereediver mentioned, the most important aspect of this is your eardrums. Upon firing the first round, both of your ear drums would explode, REALLY wrecking your day. Earplugs? Not much help for a diver, can't wear them underwater anyway.

Advise? Don't do it.

So, the moral of the story, your Glock isn't the preferred weapon of choice when subduing charging, rabid tanks underwater.

Darin

You don't need a stinking plastic gun!!! Any firearm can be used underwater IF it is properly prepared. By "prepared", I mean every last air bubble in the barrel is removed. Guns and Ammo magazine had an article about this back around 1980 or so, before Gaston Glock was known for anything other then plastic knives and entrenching tools. A semi-auto usually will not cycle and is of no benefit since you must remove the bubbles, caused by the gunpowder, before the next shot is fired.

REMEMBER, if God had intended man to use a plastic gun, he would have had John Moses Browning design it!!!!!!

Don Burke:
My first guess would be that the round was a 7mm Remington Magnum, which many rifles can be chambered for.

There are many other rifle rounds that push a 7mm bullet, so I would ask Larry what was used.

Larry used a 7mm STW which is a round based on the infamous .375 H&H Magnum.

Here is some info on the 7mm STW.

I DISAGREE with the conclusion that the 7mm would be the weapon of choice for stopping a scuba tank hopped up on drugs. Its been my experience in putting down animals that a round that passes compeltly through a animal will not put it down as effectively as a round that enters the animal and does not penetrate (ie create an exit wound).

The reason for this is that a round that creates an exit hole (especially a clean exit hole) has traveled through the animal and created a clean wound straight through, indicating the round was more powerful than necesarry. In my hunting experience (as well as many others) it seems that animals wounded in such a manner will runn, not drop.

If you matcht he round to the animal properly then there should be no exit wound but upon cleaning of the animal the internals should have extensive damage due to the bullet coming apart and causing multiple wounds inside the animal, hopefully causing extensive damage to multiple major organs and thus hastening the death of the animal as well as its ability to run and possibly suffer/be lost.

Thus, I would argue that the .270 that you used would be the most effective in putting down a scuba tank hopped up on drugs.

(Seriously, any bullet/hunting/game expert would tell you that exit wounds are not necesaraly indicative of a properly matched load to animal.)

To give a perfect example, buddy using 30-.06 with 150 grain bullet consistently makes tennis ball sized exit holes in deer, about 50% of the deer he shoots run after being shot. When you look inside the chest cavity the only organs damaged with the shot are straight through where he shot, usually lung.

I hunt the same sized deer with a 130 grain .270, never an exit wound at all. But when you open my deer up their heart, lungs, liver, etc are all severly damaged and I have only had 2 deer (out of 50 or so) shot with my .270 that took one step after being shot, both were less than 10 yards from me when shot and both had 'typical' exit wounds (bullet was traveling too fast and 'punched' right through).

Nother example, in the Marine Corp. they use full metal jacket bullets. The reason is that a full metal jacket will pass directly through a man making a clean hole (versus a hollow point which is designed to come apart and cause damage). The reason the marines use a full metal jacketed bullet is because a wounded enemy is better than a dead enemy. A wounded enemy takes a minimum of one other soilder to provide aid, carry off the field, 'save'. After that, wounded soilders cause an extra strain on the enemy in that it takes doctors, medicine, time, money, resources to help them whereas a dead soilder is just dead.

drbill:
Two threads on this subject? One was MORE than enough!!

Really idiotic threads are like underwear, you can never have too many.

Stan

Some of these threads are for academic purposes only. Read at your own risk. Or, don't read them. :D

What academics would that be, you ask? I have no idea. But it’s no more offensive than the singles posts or some of the other nonsense. Then again, maybe people should only talk ONLY when they have some kind of scientific info to share and never engage in small talk or banter.

Perhaps you’re right, we should shut up if we don’t have anything profound to say.

:)

TyTy:
Nother example, in the Marine Corp. they use full metal jacket bullets. The reason is that a full metal jacket will pass directly through a man making a clean hole (versus a hollow point which is designed to come apart and cause damage). The reason the marines use a full metal jacketed bullet is because a wounded enemy is better than a dead enemy. A wounded enemy takes a minimum of one other soilder to provide aid, carry off the field, 'save'. After that, wounded soilders cause an extra strain on the enemy in that it takes doctors, medicine, time, money, resources to help them whereas a dead soilder is just dead.
Actually, compliance with the Articles of War has much to do with the use of FMJ (or TMJ) bullets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom