Shoot a Scuba Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TyTy:
Nother example, in the Marine Corp. they use full metal jacket bullets. The reason is that a full metal jacket will pass directly through a man making a clean hole (versus a hollow point which is designed to come apart and cause damage). The reason the marines use a full metal jacketed bullet is because a wounded enemy is better than a dead enemy. A wounded enemy takes a minimum of one other soilder to provide aid, carry off the field, 'save'. After that, wounded soilders cause an extra strain on the enemy in that it takes doctors, medicine, time, money, resources to help them whereas a dead soilder is just dead.

As a USMC Vietnam veteran I can assure you that no combat Marine is shooting to
wound. The use of the full metal jacket bullet is perscribed by the Geneva convention.

Maybe we could start a thread on what happens to a scuba tank when you shoot it and it is full of air.

lol

scubatoys:
Yea, I saw his... but I was more curious if a 9mm or a 357 would penetrate as well.
Ok a nit, but I'm a gunny too. You have the .357 labeled as "357 auto". There's only one 357 auto I know of and that's the 44 Automag round (308 case trimmed and reamed) which is rimless, necked down to .357. Such a case capacity behind a .357 bullet would make it scream.

Guns chambered for this round are as rare as hen's teeth.

Was this truly a 357 auto or a 357 magnum? The .357 magnum is a standard rimmed revolver round, though at least one semi-automatic was chambered for it -- AMT I believe.

Roak

Jamdiver:
Hehe, I'm still waiting for them to shoot a scuba tank underwater..
Oh, the carnage, the bubbles.. C'est magnifique.
Btw that link on your page is just hilarious.
'If that tank was hopped up on drugs... it would still get you'

They tried to shoot Buster in the pool and couldn't even scratch his wetsuit. :bomb:

roakey:
Was this truly a 357 auto or a 357 magnum? The .357 magnum is a standard rimmed revolver round, though at least one semi-automatic was chambered for it -- AMT I believe.

Roak

Only one that functioned reliably, anyway, the IMI (and others) Desert Eagle.

Why anyone would want one, I know not why. After all, they made a .5o A.E. !

OK, I know NOTHING about guns, but I'm not sure you gave the 9 MM a fair shake. Looks like you hit the shoulder of the tank, which has thicker metal than the sides, I believe. Also, the angle of the shoulder seems to make it more likely to deflect the round, rather than allow for penetration.

Or have I turned from ignorant to complete idiot? :06:

RoatanMan:
Only one that functioned reliably, anyway, the IMI (and others) Desert Eagle.
Yup, forgot about the Desert Beagle :)

Roak

garyfotodiver:
Good job! In the movie Jaws, The police chief used a M1 Garand rifle, and was it was a steel tank?
Try that.

In the early James Bond films with Connery, the movie poster was the image of 007 with a pencil barreled Walther.

A BB gun.

Don't make anything of what you see in the movies.

Doc (and in another life, aka: The Mad Rocket Scientist as listed on the "Acknowledgements" page of the Blue Book of Gun Values)

RoatanMan:
In the early James Bond films with Connery, the movie poster was the image of 007 with a pencil barreled Walther.

A BB gun.

And Dirty Harry's first gun was a model 57, which is a .41 magnum. The Smith & Wesson's .44 magnum's were in such demand they couldn't get one for the movie when filming first started.

Or couse, it's pretty hard to see the 0.019" difference in the diameter of the bore... :)

Roak

RoatanMan:

A BB gun.

The first gun 007 used was a Beretta .25 autoloader; As Major Boothroyd called it, "... a lady's gun."

The PPK that he recommended was, I believe 7.65mm, or about .32. He also recommended a S&W lightweight framed revolver as a "heavy" weapon.

Movies (and novels) are escapist entertainment, as are some of the threads on this forum.

BTW, the Walther PPK does come in 9mm corto as well, but not anything smaller than .32. I just checked the Walther website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom