Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomer68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

Is there a place to do a shore dive by Casa Mexicana? Or what would be the closest place?

Just asking - if you use a dive op that does not have a storefront, is it bad etiquette do a shore dive with an op that has a pier just to get dialed in or an afternoon dive?

What is current charge per tank or rental for a shore dive.

Thanks,

Personally speaking, if you pay the tank rental fee of a shore dive, I don't see why it would be bad etiquette to use a different op for your other dives. Remember that egress to the shore is a Mexican right so what you are paying for is the convenience of buying the air, renting the weights etc. etc. The last time I rented tanks for a shore dive, the cost was $5/tank but that was a few years ago, so you might be looking at something approaching $10 but I doubt it.

Hi All,

Is there a place to do a shore dive by Casa Mexicana? Or what would be the closest place?

Is like to know this too. I'll be there this summer with a new diver that doesn't need to be on the boat. A couple of shore dives would be great. Where are the shore sites?

first of all, no. but i would imagine your dive op would supply you with tanks, and maybe even transport to a shore diving spot if you asked. folks are pretty quick to make sure you have things your way around there.

having said that, i don't think anyone would be offended if you went to a dive op on the water and rented tanks from them for a shore dive.

The "much hated" sting ray enclosure next to Blue Angel has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. You can blow an entire tank poking around the outside of that thing. I have a photo from last spring that has an urchin, a blenny, an arrow crab and a coral banded shrimp all in one shot! Trumpet fish, peacock flounder, small spotted eels, yellow spotted sting rays, small lobsters, and of course juvies of all the usual suspects...not to mention the octos at night!

In fact, the entire stretch from the International Pier all the way to Scuba Club for sure has some very good shore diving. Sure, it's a treasure hunt, but if take the time and poke around those small coral heads, rock debris piles and turtle grass flats, you will be amazed at what you can find.

Closest to Casa Mexicana is Hotel Barracuda. Unlike some hotels they allow non-guests to enter. Dive Paradise has a small storefront inside the beach area that rents tanks for $6 and will provide weights. There are steps next to the pier for entry/exit or giant stride enter off the pier. There is lots of life under and around the pier. About a hundred feet south near the shore are some artificial reef structures (arches, mountains) and a bit further the fuselage of a small plane. Another hundred feet is the massive debris of a collapsed concrete boardwalk. Depth 20-25 feet, tons of marine life.

Is like to know this too. I'll be there this summer with a new diver that doesn't need to be on the boat. A couple of shore dives would be great. Where are the shore sites?

I wouldn't be too quick to kick the newbie of the boat. They will kick themselves (or you) later when they realize what they missed.

Often times we will walk down to Barracuda, like Reefhound said, for a quick shore dive if we arrive early enough on the Island. 5 or 6 bucks per tank. If you time it around the spring breakers, you would be amazed at what you might see watching jump off the Barracuda dock when you are under it!

Go to the Blue Angel, rent a tank and weights, have a great shore dive doing their easy entry/exit and swimming to the left past the stingray pen and stopping at coral heads on the way to 1/2 a tank, then drift on home. You can cap the dive off with one of the best happy hours on the island at the BA restaurant.

I wouldn't be too quick to kick the newbie of the boat. They will kick themselves (or you) later when they realize what they missed.

Hey I hear ya, but first dive in SW would be better from shore!

Back
Top Bottom