Shore or other low cost dives in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Groundhog246:
We're considering a short jaunt South to Florida this winter. Possibly over the Christmas holidays (school age kids). Ginnie Springs has been suggested (maybe recommended would be the better word) as a dive and a place to camp. Would like to get some salt water dives in and could maybe spring for a charter. But (there's always a but), we've got 4 divers, youngest restricted to 40 feet max, the next up is OW, so 60 feet max. So, deep charters are out for the kids. And financing boat trips for 4 stretches the wallet.
So any suggestions for shore dives would be most welcome. Town/city names that I can look up on Mapquest would be preferred, as I have never been to Florida and do not know my way around at all.
Water temps not likely to be an issue as we all regularly dive with water temps in the low 50's. My last dip had a bottom temp of 47F, getting temps up into the 60's is almost balmy. And as others have mentioned, up here in the frozen North, vis of 30 to 40 feet is considered good. Out of 140 dives, I've racked up more dives with vis of 20 feet or less, than I have vis over 20 feet.
try this www.pennekamppark.com there is plenty to do and great shallow diving. lauderdale by the sea is a short hop away and Anglin Pier is the best beach diving in florida. the water there is 12-20 ft and its a short swim to the reef just a 100 yrds.
you can find plenty of places to rent gear there or refill tanks. there is no charge to dive but parking cost 1.00 per hour at the beach. I recommend this dive to everyone and youll be glad you went. visibility is good almost in any weather and it will amaze you. if you go to the keys at john pennekamp park its only 8.00 per night to camp if you go in the winter you wont be pestered by mosquitos. have fun and have a great dive! p.s. email me if i can help further. divingforlife@cfl.rr.com

Now that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Due to the timing of the school break, we didn't make it this past holiday, but it's still on the "places to visit" list. There was a chrater operator from The Keys at a recent Outdoors Show and the lady in the booth assured me there was absolutely no worthwhile shore diving in The Keys. That all the reefs, etc were at least a couple of miles offshore. With 4 divers in the family, a few days of daily charters are just not affordable. Now a couple of days of chrters, with the rest of a week spent shore diving are within reason (maybe an extra charter for mom and dad).

Many thanks

South Floridians (HOllywood) is there still those small hotels on Surf road between Hollywood BLvd and just north of like Johnson street. It seems to me that those were pretty fairly thrifty.

You can dive that area off the shore and never be disappointed at the things you will see.. especially if you are up for a good swim.

Eric

Lauderdale By The Sea also has some great beach diving & relatively inexpensive palces to stay. Here's a link to various motels/hotels in town. Beachfront addresses are usually on El Mar Drive & have even numbers. Anglin Pier would be at 4400 El Mar: Lauderdale By The Sea

Orlando Eric:
South Floridians (HOllywood) is there still those small hotels on Surf road between Hollywood BLvd and just north of like Johnson street. It seems to me that those were pretty fairly thrifty.

You can dive that area off the shore and never be disappointed at the things you will see.. especially if you are up for a good swim.

Eric
Yes, there are many rooms that you can rent by the week. Tough to find vaccancies in the winter, but in the summer (which just so happens to be the best diving IMHO) you can have your pick.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom