Shorter-Length Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are you thinking of a tropical liveaboard or local? Budget?

Exactly. Warm or cold, US or other as well.

SoCal has several boats that do two day, three days and week long trips. This is a second vote for the Peace Boats.

are you thinking of a tropical liveaboard or local? Budget?

QUOTE]

I would prefer to go somewhere tropical rather than local. The Carribean, Mexico or Central America seem like the obvious choices. If the boat leaves out of (or near) somewhere on land that is also enjoyable for the rest of the vacation (i.e. a nice beach and abundant alcohol/good food), that would be best.

As far as budget, I think the only way I could get my girlfriend to go along with this is if we had a private cabin, which I assume relegates us to the higher end of things.

Thanks to all who have responded.

...might try JULIET (sailjuliet.com) they've got a 4 day / 3 night cruise for $ 980 diving off the west coast of Puerto Rico (Mona Island). I'm doing a 1-week trip on JULIET at that location 05/09.....and I did a 1-week JULIET / Bahamas trip in '04 and had a great time...that was my very first liveaboard !

Karl

...JULIET also has 'private' cabins.....price is the same no matter which cabin you choose...max load is 12 passengers.....and it's a 104' sailboat with an additional single-screw propulsion system. NITROX is also available, AL 80's are the standard tank provided.

I Think the Juliet i a good choice. The US based boats are a bit "rough and tumble" (and I know, I own one). Most carry 20-30 divers, privacy is at a premium, or is non-existant, but do run trips as short as 2 days in length. With that said, lots of folks are surprised at how good the diving is, and the privacy becomes a non-issue on those shorter trips. Some cater to spearfishermen, some run combined hunting/photo (or "fishhugger" trips), and some cater only to fish-huggers. All have good websites, and the research is there for you to do.

Frank

What is the water temp like and what type of exposure suit do people use on the peaceboat trips?

I am usually only a warm water diver but thinking a trip to CA could be a fun experience. It seems that the Peace Boat has good reviews.

Thanks!

I know this isnt exactly CA close, but these are short: The Fling and the Spree do weekends to the TX Flower Gardens out of Freeport. Checkout:
Spree Expeditions Online Booking Service
Gulf Diving LLC - Welcome!

I am doing the Spree on Oct 4-5 if the boats are back up and running post-Ike. I'll post a trip report afterwards...

...JULIET also has 'private' cabins.....price is the same no matter which cabin you choose...max load is 12 passengers.....and it's a 104' sailboat with an additional single-screw propulsion system. NITROX is also available, AL 80's are the standard tank provided.

Another vote for the Juliet, you might still catch a four day cruise before she leaves Miami later this year for BVI and the Mona Passage trips.

I am doing the Spree on Oct 4-5 if the boats are back up and running post-Ike. I'll post a trip report afterwards...

Actually I wont - FYI - these are cancelled for the rest of 2008 due to post-Ike debris in the water and the boats are housing emergency clean-up workers as well....All good reasons, but I'm still a little pouty about the whole cancellation. No more salt for me until Dec. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom