Shortie For Keys In May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jay515

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am thinking of buying a Shortie for my Keys trip in May. I believe that when I went out on dive or snorkel boats I rented them and it adds up. (I use a "skin" for very shallow water just to protect against jellies, sun burn, etc). Should I get a 2 mm or 3 mm, also what about a regular size one? Also do you "size" by weight or height? I am a VERY short guy, probably could wear a kid's.
Thanks.

Depends on just where you are going. I made the mistake of looking at the water temp at Key West before a trip to the Dry Tortugas in May a few years ago. Was cold the whole trip.

Not doing Dry Tortugas (this time anyway). Going down the keys starting in Key Biscayne via Hy 1.

I am thinking of buying a Shortie for my Keys trip in May. I believe that when I went out on dive or snorkel boats I rented them and it adds up. (I use a "skin" for very shallow water just to protect against jellies, sun burn, etc). Should I get a 2 mm or 3 mm, also what about a regular size one? Also do you "size" by weight or height? I am a VERY short guy, probably could wear a kid's.
Thanks.

Split the difference & get a 3/2(shortie).......along with skins.......

Last edited:
Did the week before the Memorial Day weekend in Key Largo 2 years ago. 3/2 full suit was perfect, 4 dives/day x 5 days.

I prefer the full suit for protection.

Also do you "size" by weight or height? I am a VERY short guy, probably could wear a kid's.
Thanks.

I find chest and waist measurements to be more important than height or weight. Some brands have short versions of various sizes, like "medium" and "medium short". It seems to me the priority should be chest, waist, hips, then height and weight last. For some wetsuit brands, the weight recommendation can be 30-40 lbs off and still have a good fitting suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom