Should a dive op give you your money back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think keeping 20% is what most operations who care about customer relations would do.

Do they HAVE to? ...maybe not but it makes for bad blood, which is never good.

I'd like to add that Scuba Seraya and Mike V. photocourse gave us a full reschedule after JB was deployed for a training trip when we had scheduled. They did not have to, but it sure added to my good sentiments towards them.

The more "middle men" involved in your trip, the worse your chances are when issues come up. I don't care for tour/operator trips for this reason.

Booking direct, two parties, YOU and THEM...oh and AM X will give you the most consideration to negotiate a resolution, IMV.

fairybasslet:
I don't know where you get your information from. I can get trip insurance for my very expensive liveaboard to the Galapagos for about $130. Well worth it IMHO. Also, where do you come off telling someone if they can't afford to lose $4,000 they shouldn't take a vacation? It certainly is a stretch for me to afford that kind of money, but I save and budget to be able to do it. However, for me to simply throw it away...well...that would hurt a whole lot. It is my one big dive trip per year.

If one can not afford to lose $4000 then one should not spend that kind of money on pleasure.

If you are happy throwing in an extra $130 for your high end vacation, have a ball. For you, it must be worth the peace of mind. Maybe that is why I avoid the high end trips an go for 3 or 4 more affordable trips per year. At 5 to 10% of trip cost for insurance, I'm well ahead of the game. And if I lose the next one, I'll still be well ahead.

Like I mentioned, I was the one who wanted to get the insurance. My wife felt it was kinda like someone else mentioned... Extended maintenance agreements. They seem to always have a squirm clause in them. That being said, I have never taken out, nor used trip insurance, so I cannot speak as to how well they pay out for losses after you make a claim, but my insurance experience in the past with other insurers like house, auto, medical etc, has not alway been good.. Did you know my cement foundation is fully insured, 100 %, "except for cracking and settleing. I asked them what was left? they told me "spalling" My wood siding is 100% covered as well, except for rot, mold, or mildew, I asked them wht was left? they told me "warping".
My medical insurance covers me 100% for emergency care out side of thier hospital. But... Only "100%" of what my insurer thought was "fair and equitable" in thier minds, which left me holding the bag for $8,000.00 they didn't think they should pay. I finally got them to pay the reall 100% but it took a couple af years of frustration to get it.
Thanks for all the advise. BTW please no bickering over this post please? I just wanted to see what other thought. OH yea, I cancelled my homeowners insurance and went with someone else.. as I saw my old insurer's tue colors after that incident.

Awap, yes, it's a losing bet. Ah, you want to lose that bet, don't you? That would mean you're going on the trip.

Any insurance is typically always a losing bet which is why companies sell it.

However, it's just in with the cost of the trip. I'm always amazed that people will pay $5K to go on the trip but $100 to protect it is too much. It's part of the whole cost. Forget about it. Or you can stand to lose 5 grand.

By the way, the longer you wait to buy travel insurance, logically, the cheaper it is. So you can balance out the time you pay the full balance with the time you get the insurance to try to get a happy medium.

I'm also wondering whether you're using InsureMyTrip.com as you should be able to get decent insurance for less than $200.

We used to go on the shorter trips multiple times a year, but since the airfares went up so high, we decided that when we went, we would go for a longer trip and go fewer times. It's cheaper in the long run. The airfare haas gotten higher than the dive trip itself anymore. Heck we used to fly to Roatan via El Salvador, from the West Coast for 300.00! Boy what I'd give for that rate again!

awap:
If one can not afford to lose $4000 then one should not spend that kind of money on pleasure.

Yes dad.:11: :rofl3:

Try using American Express in future, they have a very good legal department. If I have any dispute or disagreement with a retailer I just cancel the payment on-line. American Express refund my money within 12 hours and then their legal people fight it out with the retailer. I usually get a letter within a few weeks saying the case is closed.

I have used this approach several times over the last few years and always got my money back, even if truth be told, I was the one in the wrong. It is just so much easier letting the legal department of Am-Ex argue my case than wasting my time and effort.

Shasta_man:
By the way, the longer you wait to buy travel insurance, logically, the cheaper it is. So you can balance out the time you pay the full balance with the time you get the insurance to try to get a happy medium.

I'm also wondering whether you're using InsureMyTrip.com as you should be able to get decent insurance for less than $200.

That is the site I used to base the above response. Prices may be higher because I used a July '08 trip.

If you can afford a lose, then self insurance does not have the insurance sales and support network raking off their shares. It also does not have as many loopholes.

Who buys collision insurance on a $4000 car?

I thought about the credit card option, but seeing as it has already been paid out, what could the CC people do? It not like I didn't make the purchase? I was going to call them today, as well as DAN, and see what option might be available from those folks.

Back
Top Bottom