• Children should not dive

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • Feel strongly both ways

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Only if parents are experienced divers

Votes: 25 30.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is somewhat timely for me as we plan to give our 14 year old his OW course as a Christmas gift. We've given it quite a bit of thought and have required him to take swimming lessons and achieve good in water skills first. We feel he has the maturity to learn to be a safe and competant diver. It will ultimately be up to his instructor (who is fairly demanding and does not "sell" c-cards, you have to earn it) to decide if he dives or not.

Kent

Butch103 bubbled:
"My son began diving at age 14. He wasn't above average in build or height oor intelligence. He could however carry all his gear where ever and when ever he was required, many of the adult female students couldn't. He passed the exam with the 3rd highest mark in his course. Should he dive or not ??"

Butch, your son meets all the physical, academic requirements, but only you and his instructor can answer the 3rd requirement, does he have the maturity to be a safe diver. Can he respond to a potentially life threatening situation and make the right decisions.

The question everyone of my students must meet before I will certify them is, Do I trust this person to dive with with my loved one (who is also a novice by they way).

MikeD
:blfish:

When we asked Dennis M. Pulley, SSI Director of Training , about their program, he told us that “SSI is aware of medical and psychological concerns in divers as young as 12.” However, he cited the RSTC position that medical experts are unable to provide any documentation or proof why an individual must be at least 12 years of age to begin scuba training.
There's no proof either that pregnant women shouldn't dive but the best medical evidence indicates it is not a good idea. The same is true for children diving. No one wants to risk fetuses to get proof, but SSI and PADI (the only two agencies that allow divers that young) are not above risking children. I think they've shown that they are more concerned about cash than kids.

i have no problem with the fact that a child is not a buddy. there's no way that they could be. some children could be a buddy physically, others mentally, but it does take a few years and some base level of maturity before you could consider a child a buddy. i'm just looking at the lowest common denominator. i'm thinking of the parents who get their ow cert, do 10 dives and then get their 12 year old certified. are they experienced or mature (dive-wise) enough to 'solo' dive with a child? i guess it all depends on the person, but my guess is that most people in the example that i gave wouldn't think that far. 'solo' diving mentally is really all about maturity, experience and confidence. just my 2 cents.

I'd be interested in any thoughts on the idea of using say, a six foot tether on a 14 yo for the first few OW dives? I'm thinking a 6 foot piece of webbing with a snap swivel on each end.

And I know hand signals are important, but everyone's getting a "Magna Doodle" for Christmas this year. Seemed a lot easier than all learning Sign language. :D

On the "buddy" front, I'm sure my 14 yo will be a better buddy than some I've had (or he won't be diving). Prior to my wife's certification, I dove with a fair assortment of people and some were downright scary. Most improved after a brief discussion on the surface, but I'm amazed at the number who would swim quite hard for a minute or more, with limited viz (15 to 20 feet), without ever looking beside or behind.

The biggest challenge IMHO, is panic and no one really knows until they're under stress, how well they'll cope. Training is just that, it's still a controlled environment and so the "problems" faced are somewhat anticipated. I've had a couple of issues to deal with in my first 52 dives. The first, around dive 15 was a buddies reg free flowing at 50 feet (about 39F) early into the dive. While I took my octo in hand, he made a rather rapid ascent, leaving me behind. I have no plans to dive with him again, ever! The other was my wife, who had a (mild?) panic attack in about 30 feet, when we ran into a stirred up area and there was suddenly no point of reference (no bottom or other structure), fortunately we were only an arms length apart, so she was able to grab my BC, she swung me around to face her and one look at her eyes and there was no doubt what was happening. I placed on hand on her BC, gave a thumbs up to ascend and we did a nice slow free ascent to the surface and snorkeled back to shore. While she did indeed, panic, she did not bolt and we've been working on dealing with low viz since.
I know from sailing with her and one night both of us getting up at 3am, because winds have shifted and increased to about 30 to 35 knots (contrary to the forecast) bringing 3 foot plus waves, our anchor is slowly dragging and we'll shortly be tossed on the rocky shore of an unihabited island, unless we deal with it quickly and properly, that when the need arises we will both "rise" to the occasion. On that occasion, we tied a float on the anchor line, started the outboard. While I made sure we didn't foul the line with our prop, she drove us out of there and into a more sheltered location, while I rigged and set our spare anchor. While this was happening, our 14yo, then 12, woke his younger brother, got both of them into their foulies and PFD's and grabbed the ditch bag (flares and handheld VHF), in case we had to abandon. From this, I quite expect that both will adequately handle that which may arise. ( to finish the tale, it had blown itself out by dawn and we were able to have breakfast, recover our anchor and continue our trip. (for any interested, some sailing pics at http://www.globallaser.on.ca/kent/Unica.htm )

Kent

Groundhog246 once bubbled...
I'd be interested in any thoughts on the idea of using say, a six foot tether on a 14 yo for the first few OW dives? I'm thinking a 6 foot piece of webbing with a snap swivel on each end.
That can be a good idea. Some divers use buddy lines, which is what you are talking about, when diving in low visiblity conditions. Just make sure it can be removed easily in case of obstruction.
And I know hand signals are important, but everyone's getting a "Magna Doodle" for Christmas this year. Seemed a lot easier than all learning Sign language. :D
It's easier, but not necessarily faster. It's still good to know a few basic hand signs. They can communicate things like being out of air much faster than scribbling them on a Magna Doodle.

vr once bubbled...

That can be a good idea. Some divers use buddy lines, which is what you are talking about, when diving in low visiblity conditions. Just make sure it can be removed easily in case of obstruction.

Thus my thought to use a tether froma yacht harness (partly because it so happens I have 4 of them :D )

It's easier, but not necessarily faster. It's still good to know a few basic hand signs. They can communicate things like being out of air much faster than scribbling them on a Magna Doodle.

Agreed, some such as descend, ascend, out of air, and even how much air remaining are essential. But to get across something like "we'll go about 20 fin strokes at 230 degrees, then turn to 140 degrees" would be much easier. Could also play hangman, etc on a safety stop.

Kent

Will a magna doodle actually work underwater?

If so I'll have to get me one! :)

got4boyz once bubbled...
Will a magna doodle actually work underwater?

If so I'll have to get me one! :)

YES. I saw a thread on them somewhere (maybe here) and bought one to try. This link http://www.howstuffworks.com/magna-doodle.htm has a great explanation of how they work. In summary, they have a fine iron particle in a thick fluid (almost gel) and using a small magnet you move the particles from the back to the front to write and using a big wide magnet, pull them all to the back to erase. Being full of fluid they are both water and pressure proof. Someone (I think SeaQuest) make a scuba version, sells for about 3 times the price of a Magna Doodle. I bought the smallest size, even has a plastic snap hook to attach and the "pen" is on a string, with a place to store it. I liked the really big, private label one I saw at Zellers, about the size of a regular sheet of paper, but it really didn't seem very practical.
CAUTION: Magna Doodle contains magnets and WILL affect your compass if it gets too close.

Kent :thumb: :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom