Should I buy a GoPro for Raja Ampat LOB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps if I had a GoPro that was firmly attached to my head so that it saw what I saw then that might be okay.
Some of the worst videos are shot this way. Glancing side to side can make your movie completely unwatchable.

I dive a GoPro 6 exclusively on all my trips. They are pretty simple and the video/pics are simply amazing. However, I do have a few tips to get the most out of it:

• Use a heavy tray with a bolt snap on it. The mass will allow you to make your video incredibly smooth and will protect your investment. I use a Snake River Prototyping tray and I love it. Please, please leave the poles at home. They exacerbate shaky video syndrome and most of those videos are unwatchable.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTvofkOtGQ7wBJW1WV47_ivM1S_JquxQcP8xiy7FBz5p27xqA&usqp=CAY.jpg
  • Invest in Back Scatter's Flip6 Pro Filter system. Lights don't have the ooomph to correct colors more than a few feet out and the filters do an awesome, awesome job both near and far. The Macro is nice, but takes a butt tonne of patience. FWIW, I only use lights at night.

• Finally, think about upgrading the housing. I went with Backscatter's Isotta housing and again, I love it. It's double gasketed and easily accepts the flip filter system. Even better, you don't have to take the lens cover off like you have to do for the GoPro housing giving you another level of waterproofing as well as making it simpler to go from this housing to a skeleton housing for above water use. I feel confident going deep with it and it's simply bullet proof.

The GoPro 7 has just come out so there will be some great deals on the GoPro 6. Here's a video from a the Nautilus Belle Amie I took off the Socorro Islands with my GoPro6.

FWIW, the GoPro 7 Black comes out tomorrow. HyperSmooth and Time Warp seem to be the biggest improvements and do a great job at getting rid of the shakes. It uses the same form factor, so anything that you can use any accessory for a GoPro 6. Portrait mode, Timed clips, Live Streaming, better mics, an improved user interface as well as other lesser features make this a solid improvement. Can you tell that I just hate shaky videos??? :D

I was using a go pro and then saw first hand some awesome results from a Paralenz my friend had just purchased and brought on the trip and was so impressed I ordered one standing in the airport on my way home from Little Cayman and really wished I had purchased the Paralenz earlier. Took the Paralenz to Bonaire and Grand Cayman dives and all I can say is WOW, I love it! No more messing with filters or housings and can operate at depths we can’t dive to so in a word, awesome! I have outstanding footage of an octopus that really put on a show at Salt Pier that everyone freaks over and know results would have been far less with Go Pro I now use for surface shots only

Thanks everyone for your comments!! It was a nuanced question, and you folks get it. Prior to this thread, hadn't heard about the Paralenz, but it could fit the bill. Current model Paralenz with tiny display is $699, significantly more expensive than the GoPro7 + housing + filter. But the simplicity of the Paralenz is more in line with my desire to focus on the diving. Leave it in a BCD pocket on a leash, and use it to capture the overall feel of a place or something special swimming by. Paralenz reviews are mostly favorable, and it's admitedly a niche product - but it's the niche I was looking for. Quality of posted videos is in line with my expectations. Haven't completely decided yet, so additional comments welcome. Have a nice weekend.

Go Pro with tray. Practice. Good to review day’s videos so you get feedback to do better next day. Small video light compatible u/w torch helps with critters in holes and caves. (Diffuse wide angle, not spot)

I used to only carry camera every other dive to avoid over focus on video vsexperience. That is the time a whale shark will cruise by, slowly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom