Should I get a Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Neil,

Since you asked, I don't carry an emergency air supply. My buddy is my emergency air supply. S***t doesn't usually "just happen" if you've done your part in the first place -- especially on recreational dives. If one isn't able or willing to adopt preventive measures, then they have bigger problems than having emergency air available, I think.

Unreachable and undetachable ponies on the back tank are very obtrusive, and offer a very dangerous snag point. Carrying a bottle under the arm is better, but can offer greater task loading to a diver. If one wants simple redundancy for recreational diving then get an H-valve (which can be cheaper than a pony anyway).

Good gas management and well honed buddy skills will get recreational divers out of anything.

Take care.

Mike

BTW, by "most" I was referring to those who advocate the use of ponies. The arguments they put forth are generally very easily countered by simple solutions (most of which revert back to the basics of scuba diving).

SpareAir is a complete waste of money, and a complete piece of crap. Your tanks, regs, weight systems, exposure suits, and other gear form a life-support system. Hopefully, most people view this with the seriousness it deserves, and purchase and learn to use quality life-support equipment. Anyone who purchases a SpareAir -- for any reason -- is ipso facto not thinking well about his life-support equipment. It is a gimmick.

You will never convince me that three breaths of air at 100' are in any way relevant to any life-saving situation. Anyone who runs out of air at 100' and needs a SpareAir to surface is a disaster waiting to happen, and shouldn't be diving. People that do such things kill themselves, and sometimes their buddies.

Here are some myths:

1) If I get entangled, my SpareAir will save me. Wrong -- if you get entangled enough to run your primary gas supply dry, 3 breaths will make virtually no difference. If you're in an environment where entanglement is an issue, you should be diving with rational gas management techniques (such as the rule of thirds, or, in some specialized cases, the rule of sixths). In such a situation, your buddy could go back to surface, get more gas, get more tools to free you, and be back at your side before you run dry. Further, if you're in an environment where entanglement is an issue, a good quality knife will be much more useful than a $300 SpareAir contraption. Further, if you're going to be in an environment where entanglement is an issue, the SpareAir itself presents an enormous entanglement opportunity.

2) The SpareAir will get me to the surface with a CESA. Wrong -- if you're too incompetent to manage such a basic skill as gas management, then you ipso facto will be horribly unskilled to actually use such a stupid contraption as a SpareAir. If you're stupid enough to run your tanks dry, you probably will not have the wherewithal to properly use a SpareAir anyway. Spend the $300 on pool sessions and practice how to actually manage emergencies.

3) The SpareAir will save me when my reg goes kaput and fails. Wrong -- there are paltry few situations where a reg can fail closed. Those situations, like ice diving, require real training and real equipment. The SpareAir has no place in such diving. If your HP SPG hose fails, you have a slow leak. If your tank O-ring bursts, or your first-stage HP seat fails, you will have a moderate leak. You will certainly have MUCH MORE than 3 breaths left in your primary, unless you were already run dry. Once again, anyone who lets himself go dry to begin with is waiting to kill himself. Anyone who worries about a HP seat failing after having already run dry really needs to think some more. The only conceivable way the gas supply could be completely interrupted would be to have a yoke reg literally popped completely off of the valve. This would require Herculean effort and inordinate stupidity to accomplish. It isn't a reasonable failure mode.

4) People often run out of air, so the SpareAir should be a good thing. Wrong -- the condition is correct -- people run out of air all the time -- but the conclusion is wrong -- the SpareAir is not a good idea. There is no emergency short of three simultaneous equipment failures at maximum depth or penetration that cannot be solved without loss of life by a properly formulated dive plan. In no way, absolutely no way, is the SpareAir an acceptable replacement for appropriate training, equipment, or dive planning.

I'm the first to admit that skill, technique, and knowledge are the most important qualities of a skilled diver, but equipment is a VERY CLOSE SECOND. I can halfway acknowledge the use of a real (50cf+) pony bottle. In moderate to extreme diving scenarios that could benefit from a pony, I'd just rather bring an AL80 stage with me for backup. The regulator is not expensive. If the reg on a proper stage bottle is too expensive for you, you are not able to make a dive that might need one. Go play checkers instead until you get a paycheck.

If I dive with someone who insists on using a pony, I do not expect him to ever crack that puppy open. If, no matter what the situation, he finds that he needs to crack open his pony, I chalk that up as a massive, unacceptable failure. At this point, that diver needs to begin seriously thinking about what led to the failure, and how he can prevent it from ever occuring again. Anyone who opens a pony more than once in his lifetime is not responsible enough to dive. Anyone who fails to adhere to a properly arranged dive plan more than once in his lifetime is not responsible enough to dive. Contrary to popular conception, a properly formulated dive plan contains contingencies for entanglements, equipment failures, and all other conceivable modes of failure. A properly formulated dive plan is conclusive, in every way, for every possibility. Anyone who finds their way out of such a plan is not responsible enough to dive.

THE SPAREAIR IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING MORE THAN A PATCH TO MEND HOLES IN A POOR DIVE PLAN OR IN A DIVER'S POOR ABILITY -- NEITHER OF WHICH SHOULD EVER EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE.

- Warren

they are pretty much a waste of cash!!! Second of all if you are worried about the size pack a 13cuft with you they are not much bigger and will cost the same but now you have a tank and a regulator.:D

They sure don't work up here in our cold Great Lakes when you are venting your dry suit and bcd in a controlled ascent. That 3cu.ft will be POOCHED in no time:p

Baywatch sure makes them look useful don't they??

Ninja:)

Hmm... upon reading my last post, I have to admit I sound a bit like a DIR nazi. I hope I don't turn into another GI3. :(

".... must.... not.... call.... people................. ssssstrokes........"

All I'm trying to say, folks, is that there are many better (and safer) ways to dive than using a SpareAir. I hope I didn't offend anyone, but it's one of those "passionate" topics to me.

- Warren

Ain't nothin' wrong with using a bit of passion. That wasn't even in the same league as GI3.

Take care.

Mike

Not to worry these spare airs aren't very DIR!! Your opinion should be respected like we all said know your gas consumption, plan you dive , dive your plan, following basic rules of gas management is certainly a start.:D

Good input on this thread guys!!:D :D :D

NINJA

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Hey Neil,

Since you asked, I don't carry an emergency air supply. My buddy is my emergency air supply. S***t doesn't usually "just happen" if you've done your part in the first place -- especially on recreational dives. If one isn't able or willing to adopt preventive measures, then they have bigger problems than having emergency air available, I think.

Unreachable and undetachable ponies on the back tank are very obtrusive, and offer a very dangerous snag point. Carrying a bottle under the arm is better, but can offer greater task loading to a diver. If one wants simple redundancy for recreational diving then get an H-valve (which can be cheaper than a pony anyway).
Good gas management and well honed buddy skills will get recreational divers out of anything.
Take care.
Mike

Mike,
You missed my point, I'm afraid. I understand FULLY that your buddy is your emergency air supply. My question is: why do you have THAT if your gas management is good and s**t doesn't happen?

This IS a preventive measure.

I've used ponies for years, and they are not more obtrusive than main tanks, and in my case nicely tucked in close to the body. I can reach the valve and I can restow the reg. There are things that will snag before the pony, and I'm prepared for that.

A redundant reg is not the same as an emergency air supply, is it? Last time I looked, both regs on an "H" valve get air from the same tank. The pony is for accidental air loss, say from a blown o-ring (been there, done that)or a bad free-flow (it could happen). The "H" valve won't remedy that situation. The pony will take care of either catastrophic air loss OR reg failure.

"Good gas management and well honed buddy skills will get recreational divers out of anything."

You make assumptions that may not be valid:
A. All divers should have buddies.
B. Nothing unforseen ever happens to rec divers. Excuse me Mike, I love ya man, but you gotta get out more! :)
C. the well-honed buddy system works, therefore nothing else should. Quite a leap if that's what you're saying.

I sincerely hope this didn't sound too argumentative for this board. Just trying to present ideas in a logical fashion, based in reason and experience. Do I see your way? Of course. I think both ways work. Just one last word:

WARREN, CHILL OUT DUDE, YOU'RE GONNA BURST A VESSEL!! :) :) :) :)

Neil

I simply disagree with ya on virtually every point, Neil. I'll accept that :). We've both presented our cases fairly well, so it's up to others to do as they will.

Take care.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom