Should I get a Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Go Down",

The "Spare Air" is the size redundant air supply that I would carry. It usually only takes a few breaths of air to reach the surface from 60 or even 100 feet. I regularly dive to 60 feet and BACK, holding my breath. You can too. Every SCUBA diver should become familiar with breath holding. This, notwithstanding the fact that the ascending SCUBA diver must remember to exhale. If you are still considering a purchase, try to find one of the SEAL/Navy models with the second stage hose/mouthpiece and filler device. Spare air occasionally shows up on E Bay for much less money.

I'm wondering if combining the Spare Air pony with a breathable inflator wouldn't be a great combo? The breathable inflator eliminates the extra octo hanging off your tank and works in most emergency out-of-air situations. Add a Spare Air pony and you get some protection against 1st stage failure. Then there is the cost, of course ... Bob

"I go down", a pony tank is not really a practical solution for you. You appear to be fairly new to the sport, and plan to do rec dives which require travel by air. Your equipment must be light and streamlined.

Setting the travel problem aside, rec dives often require substantial physical exertion. The rec dive can involve swimming through surf, surface swimming, swimming submerged long distances over reefs, against the current and with multiple depth changes. It can involve pulling lobsters out of holes or fighting a big fish on a string or backpedaling from a shark. Often, the conditions on board are less than ideal with heavy swells. The last thing you want to do as a rec diver is encumber yourself with another piece of heavy gear such as a pony bottle.

By contrast, the heaviest part of the tech diver's day is getting suited up.
The tech diver may encounter heavy swell and current conditions but normally they go down a ladder, descend an anchor line, follow a string, go rather deep, and return the same way, sometimes stopping to decompress. Oftentimes during the dive they penetrate holes and caves. These kinds of activities can be accomplished by a diver who is heavily equipped with gadgets, tools and multiple tanks. Selection of this complex and expensive gear often includes a completely independent air supply, a pony tank.

There are trade offs in risk management. The tech diver often elects to find "technical solutions" to these problems, and they have their reasons for doing so. You are tending the same way while mindful of your own requirements. This is because you are worried about "running out of air" but, rightly, are concerned how the "pony bottle" might fit into your kit of solutions. If your overall dive plans remain as they are, rec dives in warm climates, and you absolutely would feel more comfortable with redundant air supply, you should seriously consider the "spare air" for your kit and kick the pony.

Bluce, the Navy version of the "spare air" is closer to what you suggest. It has a regulator, hose and mouthpiece. Another interesting item is the old Fenzy vest with its attached air bottle. The vest is a yoke style and the independent air bottle hangs horizontally on the bottom of the vest skirt. This is still manufactured. It was used by the French Navy and I understand some commercial guys may be using it. I guess it could be used for emergency breathing, similar to a rebreather or the old submarine escape jacket.

IMO (of course), spare air and pony's are basically gimmicks that promote poor diving practices and introduce more potential problems than they're trying to solve. Ponies and spare air attempt to fix a problem that shouldn't become a problem in the first place. More often than not, they facilitate a false sense of security to an unsuspecting and often naive diver. It's better to prevent a bomb from going off than cleaning up the mess after it goes off.

Spare air/ponies are another non-solution to account for inadeqaute attitudes and unsafe dive practices.

Another Yooper opinion :rolleyes: :D.

Mike

I think ponies have their place -- as long as they are paired with the correct attitude (i.e., not using them to extend bottom time, practicing good buddy skills, etc.) and are not being used for dives where doubles would be more appropriate.

Mike,

I watch my air like a hawk, that wasn't my concern. I currently don't use a pony. If I did, it would be to protect from a first stage failure. I don't know how often that occurs, but if it happens, your buddy better be close by or else you had better be practiced in free accents. ... Bob

Originally posted by Lost Yooper

Spare air/ponies are another non-solution to account for inadeqaute attitudes and unsafe dive practices.
Another Yooper opinion :rolleyes: :D.
Mike

Yeah, yeah, we know all about your opinion :) I, however, don't agree, but that's not really the question here. When deciding between ponies or Spare Airs, the one thing to know, based on my humble yet experienced opinion is that the SA is an expensive POS. Something that crappy should only cost 50 bucks. At least use quality equipment for this application.

Neil

Most people (I stress "most") who use ponies are trying to account for some insufficiency in skills, equipment, training, or attitude. As a result, they have introduced a whole series of more likely problems that they are likely incapable of solving or unable to deal with.

Virtually every excuse I have heard that claims a need for a pony can be easily countered with logical and simple alternative. Ask yourself what you are trying to account for by having a pony (poor buddy or buddy skill, air managment, solo diving, first stage failure, overhead diving, etc.), and then ask if there's a simple, more efficient, or better way to avoid it's need. Then think about all the potential (realistic) hazards of having a pony. It comes down to risk assessment -- which people fail miserably at all too often.

Take care.

Mike

Mike,
I'm impressed that you've met "most" divers who use ponies. You really do get around, don't you :)

Here's my take on the pony issue as succinctly as I can make it:

For the OW, non-tech, non-OHE diver who dives with a buddy, truly alone, or virtually alone, the pony affords a compact, unobtrusive and easy to use form of emergency air supply. Properly mounted, they are no more of a snag hazard than the main tank, and hardly any practice is needed to use one. If you counter that with, "well, why do you need an emergency air supply at all?", I ask YOU: why do YOU have an emergency air supply? Because s**t happens.

This is not an issue of training, gear, attitude, or anything else. It's just one tool in the old toolbox. My 3 cents.

Neil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom