Should I switch to BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
the crotch strap usually has a loop that you feed the waist strap buckle through.
Thank god. I thought I'd have to take yoga or pilates in order to get in the darn thing :D . Did check out the site for deep sea supply, they have some nice setups there.

Definitely should look into switching to BP/Wing setup. As said, we can't say that it will be the setup for you. I don't recall having to get myself used to the system even on the very first dive. But it's after a few dives I have a better idea of how much weight I need for changing to such setup.

midwestdvr:
Thank god. I thought I'd have to take yoga or pilates in order to get in the darn thing :D . Did check out the site for deep sea supply, they have some nice setups there.

Unless you put the rig on in the water without noticing the strap is trapped between your plate and back and your buddy is busy it isn't a problem. Dave, if you're reading this, I'm looking at you. :D

If you don't want to to go all the way to a BP/W setup, or will be doing more rec diving than tech diving in the near future but still want the benefits of a back inflate style B/C consider a back inflate B/C. After diving on rented jacket style's mostly I finally took the plunge and bought a Dive Rite Transpac yesterday. I tried it out a couple of times before purchasing it and had really good experiences with it. It is comfortable, there isn't too much clutter in front of you, but it is not spartan either. Also it really helps with trim. Also there is not an extra 6-7 pound steel plate to fit in your luggage when you travel.
This is not to say don't get a BP/W, but if you're not going into tech diving take a good look at back inflate styles like the Ranger or the Transpac.

I do strictly 100% recreational diving with a BP/W. They may have come from tech diving but that doesn't mean they aren't excellent for rec diving as well. I've tried jackets (ugh!) and backinflate BCs and good trim is much easier for me with a BP/W.

i tried diving with paolov's bp/wing last october and i loved it. haven't looked back ever since...got an ss bp with Dive Rite Venture wing.

as for the crotch strap...i removed it :D

try it and you'll know what we mean

StSomewhere:
I do strictly 100% recreational diving with a BP/W. They may have come from tech diving but that doesn't mean they aren't excellent for rec diving as well. I've tried jackets (ugh!) and backinflate BCs and good trim is much easier for me with a BP/W.

I'm in the same situation...only rec dives with my bp/w at this point, but I couldnt' be happier that I made the switch. The whole rig feels so much more secure on my back and tank wobble and hitting my head on the valve are a thing of the past. Again, although they may have come from a technical background, I think that any level of diver can benefit from the simplicity and ease of using a bp/w.

-Keith

gfisher4792:
Buckle in front.

Just remain aware that because of the crotch strap, it is absolutely critical that the diver in a BP/W then put his weightbelt on last, after his BP/W (including crotch strap) has been fully secured.

Improper donning procedures here can cause the weightbelt to become trapped underneath the BP/W's waist/crotch straps and thus, no longer ditchable.

Sorry for shouting. Twenty years ago, this "weightbelt absolutely last" rule used to be very strongly taught in Basic (pre-OW) training, but with the advent of Jackets where there was no crotch strap to cause this safety problem, it isn't drilled in nearly as strongly. As such, it has become very common to violate this rule (with Jacket's, its no harm, no foul), and it has become the average Rec Diver's dirty little habit, particularly at "Full Service" dive operations where they carry the rig to the diver sitting on the stern platform.

As such, people contemplating going from a Jacket to a BP/W need to be aware that their donning procedure's *sequence* has gained significant importance for their diving safety.

-hh

If you are looking for a compact set-up that makes traveling easier the best solution might not be a bp/w. There are some very good back inflate BC's that are light, compact and easy to travel with.

If you want a bp/w for what a bp/w brings to the table then fine. They are pretty nice BCD's but be sure you know what your getting or not getting and the reasons why.

I use a Zeagle Stelitto which is reasonably compact. It packs easily and I usually fly everywhere I go for diving. The Zeagle Escape and Scout are even more lightweight and compact than a Stiletto.

I've traveled with a Deep Sea Supply single rig and it does pack very compactly. I was impressed. However, it was very minimalistic. No integrated weight pouches, no pockets, no nothing infact. If that's what you are looking for then go for it. BTW: The DSS rig is a very nice one and the quality is high.

If you add a few creature comforts to the bp/w rig then it doesn't pack any better than my Stiletto does.

So bottom line... there is more to consider when thinking about a bp/w than just how compact it is and how easily it packs for flying.

LOL, Don

midwestdvr:
Currently diving with a sherwood freedom. Like it but it's a bit on the heavy and bulky side which is sorta inconvenient since I usually fly long distances to dive. Was wondering, is there a big learning curve in switching to a BP/W set-up? Not really going to tek diving or anything but looking at the pics of set-ups, they appear to be quite compact and easy for travelling. I could be wrong but I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

midwestdvr

Back
Top Bottom