Should I switch to BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too switch to BP/wing HOG set up and wished I had done it earlier!Once you get all your setup properly rigged,all it takes is a few dives to get use to it, and make some final adjustments.No big learning curves!It took me only about 3-4 dives to fully accustom to the minimalist rig.What a difference it makes!Go for it.You'll have no regrets.Fredi.

its very easy and is a no brainer. youl adjust quite easily once you have the thing fit for you.

-hh:
Just remain aware that because of the crotch strap, it is absolutely critical that the diver in a BP/W then put his weightbelt on last, after his BP/W (including crotch strap) has been fully secured.

Improper donning procedures here can cause the weightbelt to become trapped underneath the BP/W's waist/crotch straps and thus, no longer ditchable.

Sorry for shouting. Twenty years ago, this "weightbelt absolutely last" rule used to be very strongly taught in Basic (pre-OW) training, but with the advent of Jackets where there was no crotch strap to cause this safety problem, it isn't drilled in nearly as strongly. As such, it has become very common to violate this rule (with Jacket's, its no harm, no foul), and it has become the average Rec Diver's dirty little habit, particularly at "Full Service" dive operations where they carry the rig to the diver sitting on the stern platform.

As such, people contemplating going from a Jacket to a BP/W need to be aware that their donning procedure's *sequence* has gained significant importance for their diving safety.

-hh

This is a matter of preference. If I wear a weight belt (which isn't often - no additional weight needed with my doubles and a P weight gets me where I need to be in my single set up in most situations), I prefer to have it under my crotch strap. My wings have enough lift to get me to the surface. I never want to be in a situation where I start an uncontrolled ascent because I don't have enough weight on to keep me down. Some people prefer the ditchable weight system, but I've never really seen the logic in it.

Worth noting you can also get wings that ARENT one piece harnesses if you like old fashioned pinch clips.

Also comes in handy if you wear thick suits, thin suits, dry suits, no suit and cant be bothered with the effort adjusting the harness.

If travelling remember a stainless steel or aluminium backplater will make the unit heavy and possibly heavier than the BC.

As for a weight belt, i deliberately wear mine under the 2 crotch straps. I cant envisage a situation where im going to want to dump weights and ascend massively. If im on the surface it takes 2 seconds to undo those clips. The way i see it is ive got more chance of getting injured through the belt releasing accidentally than the opposite.

StSomewhere:
hh, the issue this dredges up is that not everyone wants their weight belt to be so easily ditchable.

True, it does - - most typically for the coldwater drysuit diver.

The time-tested & proven material solution to the risk of an accidental weightbelt drop is the belt that's been configured with a double buckle. That way, it can be released if deemed absolutely necessary, which is not an option when its trapped under the submarine strap.

-hh

Dive-aholic:
This {weightbelt over/under crotch strap} is a matter of preference.

In a matter of speaking, it is.

The implications of the under-the-crotch-strap approach is that for practical purposes it makes it (nearly) impossible to accidentally lose...but also equally nearly impossible to purposefully ditch in a dire emergency.

I never want to be in a situation where I start an uncontrolled ascent because I don't have enough weight on to keep me down. Some people prefer the ditchable weight system, but I've never really seen the logic in it.

I do. The logic in it is that it permits a final option - a buoyant abort to the surface - instead of most certainly drowning on the bottom. Needless to say, it is an option of last resort.

We have to remember that if a diver is purposefully ditching a weightbelt, the situation isn't all chocolate and rose petals. What this means is that all of the inherent risks from a rapid ascent are considered to be acceptable and preferred to the alternative, which is that you stay on the bottom to wait for a body recovery team in a few days so that your widow gets your life insurance payment without having to wait 3 years for your missing body to be declared dead.

-hh

-hh:
I do. The logic in it is that it permits a final option - a buoyant abort to the surface - instead of most certainly drowning on the bottom. Needless to say, it is an option of last resort.
I'll just go with the balance rig

-hh:
...I do. The logic in it is that it permits a final option - a buoyant abort to the surface - instead of most certainly drowning on the bottom. Needless to say, it is an option of last resort.

We have to remember that if a diver is purposefully ditching a weightbelt, the situation isn't all chocolate and rose petals. What this means is that all of the inherent risks from a rapid ascent are considered to be acceptable and preferred to the alternative, which is that you stay on the bottom to wait for a body recovery team in a few days so that your widow gets your life insurance payment without having to wait 3 years for your missing body to be declared dead.

-hh

If it gets to that point, and I'm wearing a weight belt, the belt will come off one way or another, whether I have to release the belt or cut it off. If I'm not wearing a weight belt then I'm going to have to cut my harness off anyway and leave it at the bottom. And BTW, my buddy 99% of the time is my wife so she'll know where to send them to recover the body...:14:

Dive-aholic:
If it gets to that point, and I'm wearing a weight belt, the belt will come off one way or another, whether I have to release the belt or cut it off. If I'm not wearing a weight belt then I'm going to have to cut my harness off anyway and leave it at the bottom. And BTW, my buddy 99% of the time is my wife so she'll know where to send them to recover the body...:14:

Perhaps I'm not following you, but... I don't think that cutting off your harness and leaving your rig on the bottom is a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom