Should or would you have your children dive with you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been working with my 9 yr old for a while now. We have done a few shallow open water dives and we were working in the pool yesterday. We were practicing buddy breathing, mask clearing, bouyancy control, maskless buddy breathing, removal and replacement of weight belt and scuba unit and also bouncing a heavy rubber ball and undewater swim races. We did a little of all this on less than 1/2 of his tank air.

I then decided he needed more. Took all his gear off and set it up on the bottom of the 6 ft deep pool and told him he had to dive in and don all the gear with no help from me. First I call mom and grandma out to watch his first attempt at this... He did it! with very little trouble.

A few more sessions and he will be decent...

This is the strategy I'm using with my 12 year old son. He'll be certified with shallow quarry dives. We'll be doing plenty of pool practice. And any ocean dives we'll be doing will be with a dedicated DM in shallower water. I also do plan to take rescue on my way to DM.

This is the strategy I'm using with my 12 year old son. He'll be certified with shallow quarry dives. We'll be doing plenty of pool practice. And any ocean dives we'll be doing will be with a dedicated DM in shallower water. I also do plan to take rescue on my way to DM.

I like it :) Not that my opinion amounts to a hill of beans but...

oh and if you do learn with your kids I pity you they will usually be faster to pick it up , fearless and not worried about you , and if you don't go deeper that 4 to 8 meters your air will last longer and so will the dive.remember if you are diving with a 13 year old and you get into troube you are asking a bit much for him or her to pull you out

Funny you should say this, I've found it to be true as well. The kids are usually way better than their parents in the water. :) They are also the first ones to answer questions in class and have all their homework done on time.

Hey, if it's your own kid, no sweat, you should have -by now- a pretty good idea regarding who he/she is and how they behave.
But, as diving is "serious fun", I would not take youngsters diving as an instructor, I already worry sick about the truckload of immature adults that come my way, let alone... personal choice.

Catherine, do you think being a freediver prevents panic?

I think it greatly lessens it. A freediver has much more comfort with not having air coming in to their system.

My take on kids... from an Instructor who works with them regularly.

Kids can be awesome divers... under the right circumstances.

Most of the kids I've ever trained were terrific in the water. They could swim the 200 yards, they mastered skills without hesitation (lacking the anxiety in adults,) they for the most part swim like the fishes and have no problem mastering any of the entry level open water skills.

The bigger question is do they make good buddies for adults. The answer depends alot on their age (or I should say maturity level), make-up and physical strength. In all honesty I have never seen a 10 year old OWD who could have physically rescued a full grown adult. I have seen some 12 year olds that could. By age 14 and 15, virtually all of them could effectively assist in the rescue of an adult diver.

You as a parent - along with a capable instructor should determine the abilities of your child in these areas: 1. Is my child mentally mature enough to rescue me. 2. Is my child physically mature enough to rescue me and 3. Is my child strong enough mentally to recover should he/she have to rescue me and fail (how bad will the scarring be for the rest of the childs life?)

If the answer to any of these three questions is an impedence, it does not mean the child should not be allowed to dive... but it does mean that you and your child should not dive alone together.
Children who are capable divers should always dive in groups of at least three (two being adults.)
This relieves the child of the stress of having to be alone in a rescue situation for which they are either mentally or physically unable to handle.

Think about these things, discuss them with an Instructor who works with children divers - then come up with a game plan for training and stick to it.

Happy Diving!

My kids did their OW at 12 and 16. PADI director said they are fish! Now two and 1/2 years later they are very good divers, better than their dad already in many areas, and very safe divers. They watch my but now and don't hessitate to point out any errors or lax points in my diving!
You do have to know your kids well enough to judge their ability to learn the skills, and their maturity to respect, assess and avoid the risks. I also looked long and hard for the right instructor, before my kids ever took a lesson. When I did find the right instructors, they were over a three hour drive away, each way, but that was a small price to pay for knowing my kids were going to learn from people who would not only teach them correctly, but had the hearts to teach with a real love for the sport, and safety in detail! I wanted some one teaching them who wasn't just a certification mill, after the money. The lives and safety of my kids was and is priority one!

My parents had me diving at 11, certified at 12 (had to wait for a bday before NAUI would issue the card), and cavern certified by 12 as well. Now my dad and I are going back (I'm 20 now) for intro to cave.

I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Diving is not dangerous when trained and all parties respect their training.

My kids were certified when they were 15. My son continues to dive, but my daughter could care less which is alright as diving is not for everyone. My grandson started diving when he was 10 and he is 16 now and continues to go on dive trips with us (when he decides to keep his grades up so his parent's will let him go!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom