Should or would you have your children dive with you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We "grown ups" often fail to see how much our kids know and understand. (Quite often they have learned a lot from us that we'd rather have kept from them, as your story illustrates quite well!) I have been amazed at some of the enlightened observations my teenage son has dropped on me over the years. Do not underestimate the young mind as it is still the worlds best self programing computer, and it's been collecting and observing since the day they first became aware of their surroundings!

Well... I got certified when I was 10, as soon as I could. My dad had been certified for a few years earlier. I don't want to brag, but I think I was a better diver than him :wink: Not only this, but as I took my course it was another review for him, as I would not stop talking about it. While I am sure I added a little stress in his mind (making sure I was fine when we dove together) it was worth it. Every year, my dad and I go on a dive trip together, just us. It has been an amazing experience to share something so amazing with my dad and has created memories for a lifetime. Our diving is something i will never forget.

If you have the opportunity with responsible children, it will have a great impact on your kid.

I just came across this post. I have a daughter who is 13. She did a discover scuba session at 11 and just fell in love with it. I couldn't get her out of the water. She got certified right after that.

I feel more comfortable with her in the water than many people I know. We always dive together and we always practice different things when we dive, such as OOA emergencies, air sharing, etc. She is very mature for her age, and very serious too (somethime I think too serious). She "gets" it. I've read a lot of posts here asking if young people know about danger, nitrogen narcosis, etc. She does.

That being said, we use common sense when diving together. Because of the potential effects of excess nitrogen on bones in a growing body, we limit our dives to 40' (yet we still have a great time together). She is very aware of her surroundings and very careful. We always talk about the dive before we do it, what we are going to do, where we are going to and when we are going to turn the dive. She also knows that she can call the dive for any reason, any time...and she has when she just didn't feel comfortable.

She is the definition of grace in the water. She is fortunate that she had good boyancy control right from the start. She can hover at her safety stop without finning or flailing. She is very aware of the environment and takes care anytime we are in the water.

Then I have another daughter. She is now 11. She is starting to express an interest in diving. Will I let her? Not yet. She isn't ready, maturity wise. I told her will wait a year and see how she is diong at that time.

So, would I take my children diving...absolutely...when they are ready and can handle the responsibility.

One other thing I would like to add. We as parents spend a great deal of time overshadowing our children. We hustle them from soccer to dance to swim practice to basketball to football to whatever. But do we every really truly spend time with our children? Diving is my opportunity to spend the kind of time with mu daughter (and hopefully soon my second daughter) that I wanted when I was a child. Its our one-on-one thing. I, for one, love it.

John

I've had a lot of kids learn to dive in the 10 to 15 yr old range. Their water skills were excellent. I always separated them from the adult. The adults always wanted to make sure their kids were ok. But the fact was the kids did better than the parents. They did what they were told no questions. They had "no fear" by that I mean everything was new and they did not have any preconceived notions about anything. But they knew never to hold their breath, never go deeper than ... never come up faster than ... plan your dive dive your plan etc. They knew limits and not to push them. With that under their belt they couldn't help being a really good diver. I just wish every adult concerning Scuba could be like them.

I try to bring my kid when dive. I like bringing him because he can carry my gear and weights at the same time he can carry his own.

My 13 year old suprised me the other day. We were checking out our gear before we went to the Keys. His wetsuit didn't fit anymore so I said "The water will be close to 80' we can dive in swimsuits". He comes back with a SSI OW quote about your wetsuit is used for protection from blah blah blah. I was pretty impressed.
He was certified at 12 and we spent his first year only on swallow lake dives, and tons of pool work.

by the end of this year all 3 of our kids will be diving.
All girls ages 9,10, and 14.
The 14yr old is already certified.. The 10 yr old gets her cert finished up here in the next week..
The 9 yr old is waiting till her bday.

by the end of this year all 3 of our kids will be diving.
All girls ages 9,10, and 14.
The 14yr old is already certified.. The 10 yr old gets her cert finished up here in the next week..
The 9 yr old is waiting till her bday.

I hereby declare that you have the best name on all of scubaboard!:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom