Should SB be mandatory for new divers ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That being said, I think our Instructor to Instructor section should be required for all DMs wanting to become Scuba instructors. But hey, daddy's kind of biased.

Hell no. I think the I2I forum should be required reading for INSTRUCTORS who want to become instructors. I'm biased too but I think the I2I forum totally rocks!

As for making scuba board requried. Most of my students either don't speak English and/or speak it as a second language. I think requiring them to read scubaboard wouldn't be fair.

That said, I make them aware that there are such forums available to them but alas I must also *warn* them that they will not necessarily be treated kindly on most internet forums. There are certainly some people here I would be happy for them to meet (Bob Baily, Lynne, BJohn, Peter, Dr. Powell, Dr. Bill and a host of others who have made such positive contributions to the board and to the education and enlightenment of the people who read it) but on the same token there are some who I would rather my students encountered *after* they had enough experience to put the things they say into proper context.

And that's the problem I have with recommending internet forums. Depending on whose posting, the nuggets of gold can be hidden under thick layers of bullsht.

R..

Umm,
Has the op given consideration to language matters?

Perhaps the thinks english should be madatory as well:idk:

They merely need to be told to get a BP/W!

:cool2:

And aviod spair air, and split fins

It would be proposed to make SB mandatory for any new diver being certified.
emoreira:
I also consider that joining a public board like this could not be mandatory for any diver, however, during the last 2 years that I'm member of this forum I've learned a lot about many things related to the diving activity that cannot be learned from your instructor or your LDS.
When I read your first post I had the impression that this is what you were advocating - we cannot truly make it mandantory, but we can actively encourage new divers to join SB, because there is a wealth of knowledge available. And, I agree with you. I recommend SB to every class of students - OW, AOW, Rescue, etc. - as one readily available, post-course resource (and continue to be impressed that so few have even heard of it). Opinions vary, though. In our shop, there are several instructors - intelligent, thoughtful, capable divers and instructors - who are hostile to SB ('it should be banned' kind of hostile), and that surprises me. Yes, SB posts include divergent views, sometimes emotion gets in the way of logic, and wildly inaccurate posts occasionally appear. But, the value of the nuggets far exceeds the cost of the slag.
Your instructor is in contact with you only during instruction, this is a limited time. Your LDS could know a lot about the local diving place, but not much about other places.
A very interesting point, and a lesson for all of us as instructors. I work to keep in touch with students in the courses I teach, through emails, and through participating in shop activities (club meetings and cook-outs) and dive trips. Not perfect, but a means to facilitate students in following up with questions. And, we encourage staff who dive outside of our local area to share those experiences with other staff, and the shop's Scuba Club members, so that we maintain at least a basal level of knowledge about diving places beyond our local environment. Still, there are so many places that none of our staff have been, and SB can be a great resource for information on those.
emoreira:
Your instructor could know a lot about the scuba activity, but this is only his point of view.
And, sometimes we lose sight of that. What I offer students very often is opinion, based on MY experiences and values, not the ONE AND ONLY truth (except, of course, that everyone should have a BP/W). In fact, in a recent email to a former student, who had asked a question about gear, I started off by saying I would do my best to distinguish between what was fact and what was my opinion. SB has helped me over the years to become more aware of the distinction.

I like JahJah's "Internet Diver" specality. Does it have a card? How many posts to qualify?

Seriously, I have learned a lot from "diving" (lurking) here at SB but I have also seen a lot of "contradictory" posts. I have recommended SB to other divers with the warning that opinion needs to be filtered from fact. I have NOT recommended it to others for the very reason that they didn't (IMHO) have the slills that Spectrum's post listed.

It would be proposed to make SB mandatory for any new diver being certified.
With your new credential, the diver should open a new account in SB, so as the new diver can make a visit to the threads and learn as we all have learned with this site.
Thoughts ?

Um...no.

There's a lot of great info here, but there's also a lot of bad info here.

I don't think so becz a good percentage is onflrmaion about bpw not so much on jacket an back inflation I mean there is info but most ppl here lk the bpw

Spell check is your friend:wink:
spellcheck.jpg

PADI has there own forum, I accordingly inform students of this but, also tell them about SB so they can utilize it at their leisure.I have learned much from SB and it's members, although I do agree with everyone I have no problem looking at anothers viewpoint and advise the students as such.
I'am and tell my students too be bottom feeders and learn from everything around them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom