Should they require swimming for OW certificate?

Should swimming be a requirement for OW?

• Yes, without a doubt.

Votes: 216 84.7%
  • No, if snorkel/fin can be substituted.

Votes: 38 14.9%
  • I have no opinion on this.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • It depends on the quality of the scuba gear.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see where being a proficiant swimmer just might come in handy while scuba diving. I was required to do a non stop 200 yd surface swim (no fins, mask or wetsuit)followed up with a 10 min session of treading water. I got a late start on the swim, caught up to my group with about 50 yds to go, and we all finished together. While treading water I did start to envy the fat guy. He was laying on his back bobbing around on the surface like a beach ball while I have to tread water like mad. If I stop treading water I sink like a rock!

Knowing what one is capable of doing makes for one less thing to stress over.
Brent

While swimming is not really what we do when diving, I think the swim test helps to establish a minimum standard for fitness needed to dive safely. Just my $.02

Walking on water would be the preferred method but if you can’t walk on it, other than in the winter, swimming is the next best choice. :D

Gary D.

PADI course description:
At some point in the course, your PADI Instructor will ask you to demonstrate the ability to swim 200 meters/yards without swim aids or 300 meters/yards with mask, fins and snorkel and complete a bit of paperwork,

Swimming required.

howarde:
I did have to swim to get my OW cert.

Ditto. If a 6' 2" 370 pound guy can do the swim, anyone can do the swim.

And we're talking about eliminating it? :rofl3:

If you can't swim you shouldn't be allowed in the water, anywhere, until you learn how... I've been a lifeguard/medic for seven years, in general people do not know how to swim especially in the ocean; ask the 400+ people I've personally pulled out.

I'm from FL and if I went to Colorado I'm not going to jump on the slopes right away!!!

If all your equipment fails and you can't swim... well, let's just say your S.I. is gonna be pretty short.

dont kid yourself, a 300 yard snorkel is no picnic. still I strongly believe one should prove some swimming ability to pass OW. I had to swim 6 laps there and back in an Olympic pool (that's 600 meters) then tread water for 15 minutes and then float for 10 without the aide of fins, mask or a wetsuit.
I gave very serious consideration to quitting about halfway through the laps. Only later did I find out I did 3 times what was required and I hold a huge grudge against that shop and the instructors. In fact, they will never get my business.

Carribeandiver:
Only later did I find out I did 3 times what was required and I hold a huge grudge against that shop and the instructors. In fact, they will never get my business.
Heaven forbid that they get you to do more than the bare minimum for certification. :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Carribeandiver:
dont kid yourself, a 300 yard snorkel is no picnic.
I dislocated my shoulder during the DM swim test! Then, after I had healed, I almost failed because of the timed snorkel swim- my ankles felt like they were going to fall off- I'm not good at the flutter kick. :D

Maybe on your next poll you can ask if a 200 yard swim for OW certification is long enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom