Should Visual Inspections be made Law?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another no. The scuba industry has done just fine with self regulation. Imposing laws on it would only hurt the industry. VIPs are only good when they are done. As soon as the tank leaves the shop, that VIP is effectively invalid. Anything could happen to the tank between that time and the time it comes in for another fill. A dishonest diver could fail to tell the shop about it falling out of the back of a truck while driving down the highway or some other incident that could damage the tank.

If you want to research other areas that regulate scuba look at Australia. All divers must have a physical before becoming certified. This is a legal requirement. I'm not sure how it really effects their industry, but it does add costs to certification.

I am working on a paper for a business law class and i choose the topic of visual inspections and weather they should be mandated by law. I am looking for opinions (especially from people who fill tanks) and information on how effective visual inspections are, would making it a law be easier on the industry because it would be uniform?, would making it a law be a burden on the industry?

Your help is much appreciated!!

Aaron

I'd hate to think that the solution lies in government but the existing system is not perfect.

Just look at the attitudes developing around perfectly good 20 year old cylinders despite alloy and even extending to steel in some cases.

Inspections range from being overly permissive to failing for no valid technical reason. The same holds true for agrreeing to fill.

There are practices and even certifications in place but no real control of how it's all practiced.

For the sake of writing a paper the inconsistencies are the problem to solve.

Pete

I appreciate all the responses so far and they will help me right the paper. Just to clarify, I am in no way a legal expert, and this is a college paper that i am writing to simply get a grade. Thanks again!

Aaron

Keep chasing Ambulances and stay away from making laws governing diving.

Gary D.

The Government is already too far into our lives. The last thing we need is another law to mandate inspections that are already being done. What do they call 100 lawyers on the bottom of the ocean? A good start!

Yes make it law. Also put anyone under arrest who's diving an outdated cylinder. In fact, maybe we could just confiscate their equipment if they break the cylinder law. :D

I am working on a paper for a business law class and i1 choose2 the topic of visual inspections and weather3 they should be mandated by law. I am looking for opinions (especially from people who fill tanks) and information on how effective visual inspections are, would4 making it a law be easier on the industry because it would be uniform?,5 would making it a law6 be a burden on the industry?

Your help is much appreciated!!

Aaron
(1) capitalization
(2) wrong tense
(3) spelling
(4) syntax
(5) punctuation
(6) wordy

C- at the most...
E

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back