Should we take AOW now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses. So far, it's been much more unanimous than it has been in other threads, which is helpful. I think the lds does include a review with AOW, but I can't remember if it was part of a package deal or not, and possibly for use within a year AFTER doing the course, which is no help now. I'll have to look into that. Looks like a search for local dive sites is in order, then we'll be getting wet, which really was the plan all along. :wink:

I have a slightly different take on this than some of the other comments you have received.

I think it makes sense to sign up for an AOW course now --but explain to the instructor your situation. Many instructors will do an evaluation dive prior to starting AOW with a new student. That's what I do, that way I can get a handle on their skills and offer some remedial work if it's necessary.

With more certifying agencies, AOW is actually a series of specialty courses so incorporate that into your diving. Perhaps start with a peak buoyancy class, then navigation. That way you can work on the specialty while honing your skills.

I suggest this because it will get you back in the water with an instructor. Even taking a refresher course will only get you a couple of dives maximum. And if you should decide to go out and try to dive on your own for experience, you may spend time perfecting your mistakes.

But be very frank with your instructor --if he or she believes you need a refresher, take it and then move on to AOW.

Either way, you will be getting more experience with a dive leader who can help you correct problems with your skills.

Jeff

I suggest this because it will get you back in the water with an instructor. Even taking a refresher course will only get you a couple of dives maximum. And if you should decide to go out and try to dive on your own for experience, you may spend time perfecting your mistakes.

Either way, you will be getting more experience with a dive leader who can help you correct problems with your skills.

Jeff

One on one with a good mentor or instructor is even better than paying for another card already. If I were in your area I wouldn't even charge you. I would take you out shorediving and help you finetune the basics.

Another thing is, I know for a fact that some instructors don't "check" to see if you already have the basics down. They just teach the AOW material and EXPECT you to already have the basics down.

You don't need an AOW class to work on the basics. Just dive with a competent diver or instructor. It might cost you a little or even nothing.

One on one with a good mentor or instructor is even better than paying for another card already.

As a diver I agree 100% taking your AOW is really only buying a new cert card of things experienced divers could help you out with privately.

But as a part time Scuba employee AOW is the best thing you can do, fill my class up and we will reassess your basic skills. Also if you plan on going to a professional level you're going to have to take it sooner or later why not now

Thanks for the responses. So far, it's been much more unanimous than it has been in other threads, which is helpful. I think the lds does include a review with AOW, but I can't remember if it was part of a package deal or not, and possibly for use within a year AFTER doing the course, which is no help now. I'll have to look into that. Looks like a search for local dive sites is in order, then we'll be getting wet, which really was the plan all along. :wink:

Remember that AOW is not supposed to be just more Open Water, it's about new skills and challenges. If you have not been doing basic daylight dives in your comfort zones what makes anyone think they will be able to absorb learnings and perform work in the night, the deep, with a compass or any other specialy dive you undertake?

You should be perfectly capabale of enjoying shallow dive in local water holes with peers as an OW diver. If this is not the case the find a mentor or hire a DM / instructor for oversight, not to lead your dives. When you have some sense of independent capability it is time for AOW challenges. Otherwise it amounts to remedial OW.

Pete

I concur with other posters about refreshing your skills and getting the basics down pat before taking AOW class. When I took mine, I had about 30-dives under my belt and had all my own gears and was comfortable with the setup and the environment. My other classmates were the same way and we had a great time because we didn't spend any time floundering about. Really, it was pretty much a set of five supervised dives with an instructor.

Then my other buddy who couldn't make it with us and took his AOW class with a bunch of people who have barely gone through OW or have been sitting out for a while. He said that it was a pain in the ass because the deep dive and night dive were terminated and had to be repeated due to other divers freaking out, running out of air too quickly, and popping up uncontrollably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom