Should young divers use computers (split from Which computer thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

................. If it were my kid, or my student, I would recommend a dive computer ... I would also put some effort into teaching them how to use it properly, how to interpret the data the computer is giving them, and how to prepare for the eventuality that the computer would fail at some point during a dive. ...... (Grateful Diver)

And we can help with that!

See below video of an example of online classes we are building for most of dive computers today in the market.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

IMHO, my Open Water instruction was completely lacking. That said, the 2 things I got out of it were "always breathe" and what the tables meant. Then I bought a computer, and hope never to use tables again, but I know what the computer is telling me because I learned how to use the tables. I think teaching the tables is an important part of learning how to interpret the computer. And I think new divers need instruction in both. And I thank Scuba Board for being here to fill me in on a lot of what my "training" failed to teach me.

Yes. You worded my feelings exactly.

Why if your computer fails you call the dive slowly accend to the surface get back on the boat and do not dive for 24 hours. If staying away from diving for 24 hours is a big deal suggest a cheap backup computer you can pick them up used for 100.00 or so even new they can be as cheap as 250.00.

If you either have the table limits memorized or have the tables with you on the dive you obviously don't have to end the dive-- you check your depth gauge to confirm what your max depth was. You also must have a watch and note your starting time beforehand. As well, you wouldn't have to wait 24 hours and could do more dives that day on square profiles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom