Sick Suunto Stinger - won't record dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buksida

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ever since I replaced the battery on my Stinger its been playing up, I first noticed something wrong when it would end the dive during the safety stop before I surfaced.

Now it doesn't work at all, at the start of a dive I'll put it into Air Mode which all flashes up ok and gives me a full battery indicator. After a a few minutes though it automatically switches back to Time mode and does not log the dive or give me any info.

Any advice would be appreciated, can I reset it? Is it dead or is the a common problem? I don't live anywhere near a Suunto service outlet so getting someone qualified to look at it could be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

A few random thoughts: Are you sure the new battery is good? I realise you checked the computer's battery indicator, but that's not a perfect test. Sometimes batteries have just been sitting on the shelf beforehand too long, and look good when tested with a meter, but not when you actually work them harder. What's the air and water temperature where you're diving? A marginal battery may show as being alright on the surface, but when it cools down, can't quite provide enough power. One test for that is to put your computer in the fridge for an hour or two, and then power it up and see what happens. Your description suggests power might be part of the problem, since I suspect the computer needs more power when in dive mode than when just displaying the time. Another possibility is a bad or dirty contact, especially if you got skin oil on the battery when replacing it.

I have no idea on your problem, but was that alliteration done purposely?
If so, awesome man.

Thanks for the replies, the battery was replaced in March 2009 and its done about 20 dives since then - never behaved properly so you could be on the right lines. I'll try the fridge test and will have to try and send it away for a service.

Yes, the alliteration was intentional, thought it would generate a better response. :wink:

I do own a Suunto Stinger and I have personally replaced its battery about three months ago without any issues (I should add I own the special lunette wrench required to open it up). There is no need to reset anything in the computer after changing the battery. Just follow the procedure to put back the crystal and take the precaution of installing a new o ring (as Suunto recommends). As Bleeb suggested, it might very well be just a deffective or "old" battery, in which case you would have to open the computer, put in a new the battery and see what happens. I have a different question before you go into that: what happens when you touch the wet contact on the right side of the case with water on your fingers? Does it show a big "ACW" on the display indicating the computer is ready to dive? If not, could also be dirt on your wet contacts which you need to clean with a mild toothbrush, soap and water. Let us know what happens.

I didn't actually change the battery myself, had it done at a Suunto service outlet in Bangkok.

I have a different question before you go into that: what happens when you touch the wet contact on the right side of the case with water on your fingers? Does it show a big "ACW" on the display indicating the computer is ready to dive? If not, could also be dirt on your wet contacts which you need to clean with a mild toothbrush, soap and water. Let us know what happens.

You could be onto something there, I presume the 'wet contact' is the small circular indent between the buttons on the righthand side? Just tried it and no ACW, left it in a bucket of water and no ACW, gave it a clean as recommended yet still no ACW.

Further advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes, the small circular indent between the buttons in the righthandside IS the wet contact. If cleaning the contact didn´t work (no ACW appears on the display) even by dropping the stinger in a bucket of water, there is one last dich effort you can try. You have to verify the computer does not have the EAN/Air mode "OFF"- When this happens (accidentaly or on purpose), the wet contact is disabled and the stinger won´t ever go into diving mode (once I repaired one with this funny behavior). Follow the procedure of section 4.3, page 73 of the User Manual and make sure the EAN/Air is ON. If that is the issue, your wet contacts will start operating right away and the computer will register the dives. Provide us with feedback.

Could it be possible that the pressure sensor is dead, damaged during the previous battery change, or partly clogged with salt or other minerals? I don't know whether or not a lack of pressure reading would cause the computer to decide a dive hadn't happened.

There have been numerous threads here on SB about various models of computers suffering premature pressure sensor death. Suunto in particular seems to have gotten stuck with a bad batch or two that die after a few years, but since almost all computers use the same sensor, the problem is not unique to a particular brand or model. However, it seems that most of the postings here on SB have the computers showing anomalously deep, and not stuck on the surface.

Maybe another way to confuse a pressure sensor is salt in the hole leading to the sensor. Not sure of where that is on a Stinger, but once salt has solidified (mixed in with other minerals) it seems extremely difficult to dissolve it again. Apparently even multi-day fresh water soaks won't do it (don't forget to turn off wet activation), but I think some people have had luck with short baths in dilute (or very dilute) vinegar. Don't know if this is zero risk, but there have also been multiple threads on here about this if you want to read up on other people's attempts.

Follow the procedure of section 4.3, page 73 of the User Manual and make sure the EAN/Air is ON. If that is the issue, your wet contacts will start operating right away and the computer will register the dives. Provide us with feedback.

Gave that a go and it is on.

Also left it in warm soapy water to soak - still no ACW.

I guess it is dead then. :shakehead:

My local Suunto service outlet (Dive Supply) are not answering emails so should I contact Suunto direct?

Buksida:

After the tests you´ve run, I conclude that for same strange reason the wet contact
is not activating in presence of water. When it does, enables the dive mode to kick in and register the dive. Could be a loose wire inside the watch or, the module with the electronics is fried. At any rate, if I were you I would send it back to the Suunto store in Bangkok who performed the battery change to have it inspected and fixed. Let us know what happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom