Sick to my stomach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swoll

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am not an experenced diver i have proabily 10 dive under my belt. My question is after i surface i fell sick to my stomach and i get a little dizzy and i fell like i have to throw up. I did two dives today one at 60 ft for 30 min with a SI of 1hr 45 min my second dive 45 ft for 30 min both dives i did my safety stops but my second dive i stayed for a few minutes longer which seemed to help easy my sickness. what could be the problem and what can i do to get rid of this felling

It could be a number of things.
My first thought is dehydration and/or not having eaten well prior to diving.
However, it could be anything ranging from bad gas to mild DCS i guess. Then again, unless you have a very high ascent rates the numbers dont seem to add up to any risk of DCS.
(60ft/30 min puts you in group L. SI puts you back to B and that give you a RNT of 13 min. at 50 ft. 30 min+13 min = 43 min and the NDL would be 67 min. All according to the PADI RDP which is claimed to be quite conservative).

The ultimate word of wisdom is; If in doubt, there is no doubt! Call a physician/DAN.

It could be a number of things.
My first thought is dehydration and/or not having eaten well prior to diving.
However, it could be anything ranging from bad gas to mild DCS i guess. Then again, unless you have a very high ascent rates the numbers dont seem to add up to any risk of DCS.
(60ft/30 min puts you in group L. SI puts you back to B and that give you a RNT of 13 min. at 50 ft. 30 min+13 min = 43 min and the NDL would be 67 min. All according to the PADI RDP which is claimed to be quite conservative).

The ultimate word of wisdom is; If in doubt, there is no doubt! Call a physician/DAN.
This post contain a typo!
the NDL would be 80 minutes TBT for the 2nd dive to 45 ft, not 67. 67 would be max ABT, which is more than twice the ABT you had (30 min - TBT of 43), plus you get the conservacy of the table being set up for 50 ft. instead of 45.

Tigerman gave some ideas, and good hydration is imperative with scuba, but mostly like he said - lots of possibilities...
  • Were these boat or shore dives? Do you get motion sickness? Do you clear your ears easily and well? Ear problems are the most common for newbies and can lead to vertigo, nausea, etc. Sometimes I think that ENT examinations should be part of OW training.
  • You weren't hung over were you? :eyebrow:
  • Do you feel fine before the dive or could you perhaps have been ill and got worse?
  • How long were you or have been ill?
  • Are you prone to indigestion?
  • Anything else you can add...?
More information from you will aid our medical volunteers in helping you.

Are you diving in the ocean, or in a quarry? If the former, water movement may be responsible for the nausea. In either, if you are swallowing much water, that could give you nausea. On ascent, if you have any vertigo, that can give you nausea. If you have a raging headache as well, you may be skip breathing and retaining CO2.

Just some possibilities.

I would first suspect Alternobaric Vertigo. You are possibly experiencing unequal clearing of the ears during ascent. This will trigger a vertigo reaction which can even lead to vomiting. If it persists, see and ENT MD.

Laurence Stein DDS

I would first suspect Alternobaric Vertigo. You are possibly experiencing unequal clearing of the ears during ascent. This will trigger a vertigo reaction which can even lead to vomiting. If it persists, see and ENT MD.

Laurence Stein DDS
That sounds very uncomfortable :eek:

I too have this problem occasionally. Try to ascend very slow to give your ears time to equilize evenly. If one ear doesn't equilize and the other does, it will cause some vertigo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom