Side Mount Divers, what you do when travelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, interesting topic. As a diver based in SE Asia let me put my two cents worth in....

I also use a SM configuration. It's a Helix Sidemount, designed and assembled in Singapore. It's worldwide launch is at ADEX in Singapore next month. I'm not plugging it so please don't get the wrong idea but let me state that I am a co-designer and it's a SM for recreational divers upgradable for Tek.

We tested Helix extensively in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Philippines waters. The OP is right to ask if SM is 'accepted' in SE Asia. Out of the numerous dive trips with different 'charters' we only had one issue where a dive operator questioned what we were doing to the extent where a long-ish 'conversation' was required. Most of the time it's a look of curiosity but one flick of the SDI SM C-card was enough to allay any concerns. On some dives we didn't even need to show our C-cards. All of our dives were recreational.

My advice is to either not say a word and rig up and go OR politely mention that you will be using a SM configuration. If there are any questions asked you can simply tell them you will show them before you get in the water. You will find that after the first dive most of the people on the boat will want to talk to you about SM diving. As for twin tanks it's generally not a problem to start with both and dive with the same two again but you must inform the crew you are doing this as on many boats their procedure is to switch and refill tanks during your surface interval. It's courtesy to inform them and also saves you being charged double.

As for passing up tanks at the end of the dive, it should never be an issue in SE Asia. All boat crews are on hand to aid divers back up on to the boat after a dive. Do not feel you are putting them out. It's entirely normal and I've seen several instances of tired divers handing their standard BM BCD's to the crew before climbing up the steps/ladder.

So please go ahead and travel with your SM. It's one of the advantages of using a SM configuration. Happy diving!

Thank you everyone for continuing to respond, I'm still coming to this thread from time to time. Feel free to add any comments.

I ran into some pushback from an operator in the Bahamas on using two tanks. Their rule was that they would not let a diver back into the water with less than 3000psi in a tank. And they weren't real excited about the idea of refilling two tanks for one diver (it was a liveaboard) between every dive. They had not seen much sidemount and I didn't want to push it so I just sidemounted a single AL80 for the week.

Interesting comments about the 3000psi rule, I suppose in SE Asia there are enough charters in one area. If one gives me grief I can always go to another one that's more accommodating in that regards.

My advice is to either not say a word and rig up and go OR politely mention that you will be using a SM configuration. If there are any questions asked you can simply tell them you will show them before you get in the water. You will find that after the first dive most of the people on the boat will want to talk to you about SM diving. As for twin tanks it's generally not a problem to start with both and dive with the same two again but you must inform the crew you are doing this as on many boats their procedure is to switch and refill tanks during your surface interval. It's courtesy to inform them and also saves you being charged double.

As for passing up tanks at the end of the dive, it should never be an issue in SE Asia. All boat crews are on hand to aid divers back up on to the boat after a dive. Do not feel you are putting them out. It's entirely normal and I've seen several instances of tired divers handing their standard BM BCD's to the crew before climbing up the steps/ladder.

Any website for the Helix system you mentioned? Google wasn't much help, I'm always happy to check out other systems and know a bit more what's you there.

I think if I do go SM on my trip, I'll mention it before I book so I won't get into any discussion while on the boat and hold anyone up. As I mentioned before, if any shops gives me grief I'm sure the one across the street will be more understanding :)

Any website for the Helix system you mentioned? Google wasn't much help, I'm always happy to check out other systems and know a bit more what's you there.

I think if I do go SM on my trip, I'll mention it before I book so I won't get into any discussion while on the boat and hold anyone up. As I mentioned before, if any shops gives me grief I'm sure the one across the street will be more understanding :)

Helix SM is being launched at ADEX 2012 (Asian Dive Expo in Singapore). The website is still being added to but there are some pics of the harness and some accessories that go with it. There are some unique features that you will find are not present in other SM systems. Some innovations include: crotchless design utilising a thigh crossover instead; easy fitting and adjustment by simple pull of the webbing; extreme comfort; and around 1kg so great for travelling. I'll PM you nearer the launch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom