Side Mount Light mounting options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Opinions will vary and to some extent it depends on cannister size. I use a 12W Light Monkey with a comparatively small can and just link it to the small d-rings above the buttplate on my Nomad, so it lies right at the top of the towel bars and is just below the high spot on my back. With a larger can you'd need to mount it lower - and I have seen double enders and bolt snaps used to achieve this.

The light I killed was a 10W HID with a small canister and clipped off to the 1 inch d-rings just above the butt plate. Of course, I was going through a bottle off low restriction when this happened.

I am mounting mine on my waist on the right side as of now, but I think I may put it on my back mounted vertically. I find that my cord is just too long with it mounted in the front. I am using a Dive Rite LED 700, for now.....

I am mounting mine on my waist on the right side as of now, but I think I may put it on my back mounted vertically. I find that my cord is just too long with it mounted in the front. I am using a Dive Rite LED 700, for now.....

Wrap a loop around your arm, where you loop it on your arm will make a difference on how much slack is taken up.

Its a hellova lot easier to take the canister off, if you have to, when its on your waist. On your back, its cumbersom to damned near impossible, depending on how you attach it.

I have the DR LED700 which came with sleeve/pocket. I have mine tucked along my side in between the bungee cords along the wing. I use two quicklinks to attached light to the backplate. Since the light's on/off is by twisting the light head, I don't need to reach a switch on the canister so this works out great and is clean. I run the light over my shoulder and throw a few loops around my arm while diving.

My issue...gearing up at the beginning. I spend way to much time babysitting the light and cord keeping it out of the way while trying to attach and arrange gear. How / where do you put your light and cord to avoid it getting caught up or otherwise tangled while donning the sidemount primary tanks and any stage/deco cylinders?

Thanks

You can run it up to your shoulder and back down the back of the plate and clip it off to the rails, that way once everything is on except the bottles you just unclip and pull it back up. Mine is butt mounted so the head is attached to the crotch strap D-ring until I have the harness on

Thanks to all for the ideas.
I went last week end and worked with my buddy and I adjusted the canister to run under my crotch strap in the low spot.
It is amazingly comfortable and running the chord under my waist strap and back through my chest strap it cleans up the chord nicely.
I have full range of movement in all directions and it does not interfere with my reels on my butt ring.
Going to give it a go this week end to see how it works in the water while running the reel.
The light I am running is pretty close to the Light Monkey LED the can is a bit longer but the same diameter. Nice and slim yet does very nicely.

Safe diving all and thanks again for the ideas I am on the journey!
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom